Sign in to follow this  
Shawnmoore81

.17hmr scope

Looking into putting a new scope on my savage .17hmr. I'm gonna take the bushnell of that gun and toss it on my 30-06. Now the 2 scopes I'm looking at are very similar.

Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 bdc

Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 rim fire

What gets me is the .17 is a rim fire but the shoots farther then a .22 so which is the proper scope?

I've read that rimfire scopes are adjusted for paralax at shorter ranges. So you just have to figure out how far away your targets will typically be.

That's true on fixed power scopes or low power variables, where the parallax is set for one distance. The hummer is such an accurate fun cartridge, that it deserves decent glass with an adjustable objective lens or side focus. Go big or go home :D

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What gets me is the .17 is a rim fire but the shoots farther then a .22 so which is the proper scope?

The .17HMR should be compared to a .22Magnum. The casing is a necked down .22Magnum casing so it has more powder than the .22LR with a lighter bullet.

Well I've been trying to order this damn scope for 2 days. I'm gonna end up ordering somewhere else. I may look into that buck master line. Are they that much nicer?

It's an omen - Repeat after me: Big Glass! Big Glass!

While Nikon wouldn't be my choice (personal bias), I'd look at good quality 4-15X or higher scopes.