Sign in to follow this  
Barms

comparing models.. but caliber not the same?

This is a follow up to the great responses on "ballpark prices in 9mm I started recently". Okay, so I tried the M&P in .40, but my intention is to own a 9mm next. Is it fair to compare guns if the calibers are different? I shot the M&P in .40, but the PX4 Storm i am going to try is in 9mm. Am i cheating myselft not doing an apples-to-apples? i'm at the mercy of rental inventories, ya know?

i guess the responses will be "it depends". obviously recoil is going to be different. And i've shot enough to not just be swayed by recoil, i know the fit, ergonomics, weight, sights, etc is what matters. But just anymore insight you can offer would be great, about the pitfalls of comparing a model in a different caliber.

Yes for the most part, but here is something to keep in mind:

Unlike most "family" or series of handguns, the M&P's are available in many different configurations such as different trigger pulls, magazine rounds (which will effect weight and balance) and obviously barrel lengths. Make sure that the .40 you shoot is configured like the 9mm that you ultimately want. Or, if you like the M&P that you try, make sure you can get a 9mm with the same configuration.

Yes and no. Grip and everything will be same. Trigger will be same. Just don't judge it

by accuracy cause 40sw is for some people more snappy and hence less accurate than

9mm. I'm not saying 40sw is a less accurate round, I'm just saying many people shoot

9mm better.