phoenix_iii

Moving Back to NJ - Please confirm these law beliefs!

*Edit* I didn't see the NJ Gun Law forum, please move there mods!*

95% chance of moving back into NJ. Please confirm these NJ Law beliefs!

1) Magazine capacity is 15rds for both handguns and rifles (nice change since 2004).

2) Pistol weight limit ~51oz (specifics?)

3) Has anyone successfully bought one of those AR-15 pistols that is not a pistol or a rifle (OAL is 26''+, forward grip, no stock)?

4) Still only allowed 2 of 5 evil features [We can still Pin stocks, and silver solder barrel extensions]

5) The LAW still says temporarily modified magazines (30-->15rd) are legal. I heard that Corzine or some one issued a 'letter' to the NJSP but how is this legally binding?

I think that's it. I am familiar with transport and features (see #4), hollow-points for target practice only, no CCW for now, etc.

Cheers!

95% chance of moving back into NJ. Please confirm these NJ Law beliefs!

1) Magazine capacity is 15rds for both handguns and rifles (nice change since 2004).

If they fit semi-autos. Since 199o.

2) Pistol weight limit ~51oz (specifics?)

Only for semi-autos and combined with an additional evil feature.

3) Has anyone successfully bought one of those AR-15 pistols that is not a pistol or a rifle (OAL is 26''+, forward grip, no stock)?

Name? If an AOW, they are not legal here.

4) Still only allowed 2 of 5 evil features [We can still Pin stocks, and silver solder barrel extensions]

One evil feature only. A detachable mag is only the qualifier.

5) The LAW still says temporarily modified magazines (30-->15rd) are legal. I heard that Corzine or some one issued a 'letter' to the NJSP but how is this legally binding?

Magazines must be "permanently altered" per the Admin Code, but not the Law. YMMV.

I think that's it. I am familiar with transport and features (see #4), hollow-points for target practice only, no CCW for now, etc.

HPs are legal everywhere a handgun is.

Cheers!

Lol. Thanks guys. (PK90+)

I am pretty sure the 1994-2004AWB limited handgun magazines to 10rds even in NJ, during those years. None-the-less, glad everything is 15rds today.

Not an AOW, let me link...http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_XO-26.html

It is NOT an AOW, and in Pa, not a rifle, or a pistol. It is just a 'Firearm'. Not sure how this fits into NJ, one must read the specifics and be fresh (normally I do this but I just don't have it in me after this week).

Looks like I will be storing a lot of things I would prefer for HD...

Lol. Thanks guys. (PK90+)

I am pretty sure the 1994-2004AWB limited handgun magazines to 10rds even in NJ, during those years. None-the-less, glad everything is 15rds today.

Not an AOW, let me link...http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_XO-26.html

It is NOT an AOW, and in Pa, not a rifle, or a pistol. It is just a 'Firearm'. Not sure how this fits into NJ, one must read the specifics and be fresh (normally I do this but I just don't have it in me after this week).

Looks like I will be storing a lot of things I would prefer for HD...

The Federal AWB applied to the sale of new magazines over 10 rds to non-LE or military. It had no effect on the possession or sale of magazines more than 10 rds made before the ban unless there was a state law in effect. You could still have magazines up to 15 rds in NJ if they were manufactured before the ban went into effect. You could own a 100 rd magazine in most states if it was manufactured before the ban.

I fully understand the desire to own something just because you can I still see little purpose for the AR and AK pistols other than having something that fits in a specific size box. They are cumbersome and not easy to shoot well for any prolonged period of time. You have to deal with a rather brilliant muzzle blast. Add about 6" in length and a few ounces in weight and you could have a legal, even in NJ short stock carbine. The vertical foregrip looks cool but its primary purpose is to aid control in FA fire.

Just my take.

The Federal AWB applied to the sale of new magazines over 10 rds to non-LE or military. It had no effect on the possession or sale of magazines more than 10 rds made before the ban unless there was a state law in effect. You could still have magazines up to 15 rds in NJ if they were manufactured before the ban went into effect. You could own a 100 rd magazine in most states if it was manufactured before the ban.

I fully understand the desire to own something just because you can I still see little purpose for the AR and AK pistols other than having something that fits in a specific size box. They are cumbersome and not easy to shoot well for any prolonged period of time. You have to deal with a rather brilliant muzzle blast. Add about 6" in length and a few ounces in weight and you could have a legal, even in NJ short stock carbine. The vertical foregrip looks cool but its primary purpose is to aid control in FA fire.

Just my take.

^ Good stuff. Right on.