keithco88

Tritium front post for AR

I'm getting my Stag 2HT upper with a standard front post sight and want to swap it out for a tritium night sight. The only two options I see are:

XS Sights: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24975/Product/AR-15-M16-HIGH-VISIBILITY-24-7-TRITIUM-STRIPE-POST-SIGHT

Trijicon Colt: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13170/sku=892415125/Product/Fits-AR-15-A1-A2-front-only

The reviews I see on the stripe is that it's substantially wider than the typical post so it makes longer range shooting kinda difficult. Not saying I'm typically going to shoot 500yrds but I don't want to handicap myself.

Anybody know the width of the standard front post compared to the Trijicon Colt front sight? The XS big stripe is .1" wide.

I actually have the IIRC the XS mounted on my Stag upper, which is my go to CQB gun. Honestly, would I buy another one? Probably not. Mounting a decent flashlight on your AR eliminates the need for the night sight. I always store my AR in my closet and when I take it out in total darkness, it ain't all that...just sayin. Also, get ready to have more difficulty getting your zero with having to adjust your front sight. I used a dental pick along with my AR sight tool or was it two picks....either way, not as easy to adjust so be prepared with tools and time. YMMV.

Ok, I was mistaken on my brand of my Nite Site...could've swore it was an XS. Any who, I thought I would post some pictures of what it actually looks like in real life and not in some marketing piece.

Here it is under light.

NiteSite.jpg

Right after the first photo I took this one. My BB is about three inches away. I thought well that sucks, so I lite it up for 30 seconds with a 2 D Cell Mag Light for photo 3.

NiteSite1.jpg

This photo is taken right where the upper reciever and the rail meet.

NiteSite2.jpg

See (ha ha) my point. Save the coin and get a good light instead.

Troy is high quality. I know for my Troy front the tritium is only visible on one of the four sides so your zero could be off by 0-3 clicks. It's also lower than the top of the post, but I don't consider that an issue for the range the tritium is intended for.

I don't think there is a 360 tritium for the post.

Troy is high quality. I know for my Troy front the tritium is only visible on one of the four sides so your zero could be off by 0-3 clicks. It's also lower than the top of the post, but I don't consider that an issue for the range the tritium is intended for.