keithco88

Unwritten manufacturers rule? Just Stag?

Is there some unwritten rule about manufacturers not wanting to be called when they completely miss their target delivery date for a gun?

I've been waiting on an upper from Stag (a model 2, not one of the super popular model 3 or 3g ones) since the beginning of April. When I ordered their website said a 4-5 week lead time on stuff. I called them at 5-6 weeks and they said they were waiting on the handguards. I called every other week after that and they were still waiting on that, and then when I finally got a different person they said they were also waiting on the M16 bolt carrier (because i got the plus package), which they never told me before. They called me last week saying if I took a semi-auto bolt carrier instead of the M16 they could ship out my gun this week, and after some deliberation I decided yeah because I'd love to take GFH Urban Carbine 1 in a couple weeks with my new AR.

I call in on Tuesday and say "hey did this ship out". Guy says "no its done but it didn't make the shipment, it should go out after the holiday". Cool...wait all day yesterday and nothing. Just called now and they said "upper is getting finished and it'll go out today".

But why I'm ticked is now their website says lead times are down to only 1-2 weeks. So did I get screwed because I kept calling? Did I just hit the worst part of the supply chain? Did they just update their website because they were afraid of losing orders?

endrant

It pretty much ships when it ships. The industry itself is seeing record demand and the AR platform is probably the most popular so there are shortages in just about every component category. Stag could very well have been experiencing one shortage after another, delaying shipment of your upper. It's even worse for manufacturers that are supplying militaries because those contracts take precedence over commercial orders and if they get a sudden/unforeseen military order, commercial lead times get longer.