Sign in to follow this  
Iamfree

bad leupold?

bought a new savage 116 in .300 win mag. i put a leupold vx-3 4.5-14 i had on my savage 30-06 that i bought 6 months ago. the 30-06 used to have a leupold 2-7 that used to shoot holes in holes. at the same time i bought the new vx-3 i also bought a reload press and started reloading. put the vx-3 on the 30-06 and went to the range with my first reloads at the same time. i always got a bunch of flyers with some decent groups and blamed it on being new to reloading. i tried every powder and bullet combination, with proper cleaning and all. never got those tight groups again. i put the 2-7 scope on a cz 550 .375 H&H and i shoot holes through hole with that, with my reloads.........ok so i put the vx-3 on the new .300 win mag and started to reload for that. started out with factory loads to get some brass. i absolutely CANNOT get any sort of group with this gun, even withh factory. two shots together, three more a foot down or to the left. changed rings and base, to a picatinny rail and weever rings, first shot was a foot to the left, ok, new mount...adjust for the foot, it moves a half inch. this scope has to be bad internally, im going to try and sent it back to leupold. i think this scope was bad out of the box as i never got any group better than 5 inches off of the 30-6 either. anyone ever have a bad leupold out of the box???

I supose it could happen. I got some really whacked out groups with some ammo (including my own loads) with other optics. Bullet weight has a lot to do with it. I found that I really needed to stay on the heavy side with a couple of guns and others prefered the lighter side of the range. As an example, I have an M1a that hates anything lighter than 175 grain. Most millsurp is ~150.

Best of Luck

Ken