Combat Auto

Trigger Job for Sig 1911

Folks, Did my third range visit with Sig 1911-45 and have about 500 rounds on it now...

It or me still shoots slightly left (even after applying the tips you folks gave me on a previous post here in the Handguns folder)...I did improve the situation some though (and the pistol shoots tight groups).

The gun is Nice :-)...But I would like to fine tune it as I will be participating in USPSA as soon as my holster comes in...I think the left shooting bias is a result of the humoungus trigger pull, the only negative on this pistol for me. Sig says it is over 5+ lbs. (and they offered to sell me a trigger poloshing for a fee $175 - nice racket, ship the gun with a heavy trigger and then sell more services!).

Two Questions:

1) Do folks think the trigger job would help eliminate the remaining left bias on my shooting?

2) Are there any good gunsmiths in the NJ-Tom's river area (or anywhere in NJ for that matter)?

Thanks,

-Joe

Also, depending on what kind of trigger job you get, it might make the gun a poor choice for home defense. A single action pistol with a hair trigger could be a problem when a user is stressed. On the other hand, smoothing out a 5 lb trigger would be ideal for HD.

I have a Sig GSR that has a slightly stiff trigger pull but it breaks like glass. 5# is really not a "humongous" trigger pull, and unless you plan to compete heavily it shouldn't be too much lighter. I agree with Lunker that a hair trigger can be a problem if you use it for anything other than a race gun.

A 5 lb trigger pull isn't bad and shouldn't cause that much of an effect if your fundamentals are sound. Try randomly mixing in some snap caps along with live rounds to see if you're anticipating recoil and flinching (usually low-left is the result).

If the trigger breaks clean (e.g. feels like breaking a glass rod), then you can try lowering the pull weight yourself. Just take out the sear spring and slightly bend the middle leaf back a bit to your desired pull wieght and see if that helps. You can also try getting a ligher main/hammer spring, which also lowers pull wieght but need to make sure you get consistent primer ignition.