JamesC

Urban Carbine 1 and Urban Pistol 1 (Dec 9)

Hey guys and gals,

I'm signed up for the Urban Carbine and Urban Pistol classes (level 1) for December in Cedar Grove. I'm looking for anyone else that is planning on attending, and for people with advice about the course - what to expect, suggested gear, etc.

Really looking forward to some formal training from the guys at GFH!

Cheers,

James

Urban Carbine 1 class reviews on the forum

http://njgunforums.c...rban-carbine-1/

Urban Pistol 1 class reviews on the forum

http://njgunforums.c...2-class-review/

http://njgunforums.c...istol-1-review/

I've not undertaken Urban Carbine - however have done UP1 (see link above for my review). I would suggest bringing:

• 400 rounds of ammunition (you may not use it all, however in my experience depending on the class you sometimes are using more than they recommend to bring - also depends on your magazine size)
  • Good Kydex OWB holster - absolutely practice drawing from the holster (and reholstering) with an EMPTY firearm before you go to the class as it will make things easier. IIRC for UP1 you may be able to go without a holster - however better to have the holster if possible.
  • Good gun belt - i.e. don't just use a standard belt - while you can, the extra rigidity of a gun belt makes a big difference in stabilizing things.
  • 2-4 magazine pouches. While you only need 3 magazines, if you have more then bring them. Joe (instructor) used to have people load 10 rounds into each magazine (if they fit 10 rounds) however more recently he has been saying just load them to capacity as some students have got a little confused - hence my comment about bringing the higher count of ammunition just in case. If you have more magazines it gives you more flexibility on when to reload the mags etc.
  • Earplugs and Earmuffs - you're shooting inside - some people are more sensitive to noise so best to have both in case you want to 'double up'
  • Magazine Loader (optional) - these can save time and wear/tear on your thumb - many of us think they are great. Different brands available e.g. http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B001HBHNHE
  • Hat & Shooting Glasses
  • Ensure you firearm has been cleaned/lubed. While having some malfunctions in the class can be a useful exercise in reinforcing what they are teaching (e.g. how to clear malfunctions) you don't want to spend the entire class clearing malfunctions rather than focusing on what they are teaching.
  • Use something like a Silver Sharpie pen and number the bottom of your magazines. This is for two reasons a) so if you have any malfunctions you can more easily see if it is consistently with one magazine and b) so you recognize which magazines are your when you are doing group exercises and dropping your mags on the floor. Particularly if shooting a more common firearm such as a glock.

Be prepared to listen, ask questions, and focus on your fundamentals. If you get sight picture and trigger control right - much of the rest just flows more easily.

There is a slight chance I might go to UP1 and try and work through the class shooting weak hand. Will see.

hth

TheWombat

:Bump:

Anyone else interested in the class this weekend? I'm very excited to get some training in - PM me if you're planning to come!

We are booked solid (you are confirmed) with 5 people on a wait list. New dates will be posted for Jan - Feb - Mar asap.

Ant