siderman

Son cmng to NJ with AR15

My son is based in North Carolina and just acquired a Ar15 and wants to shoot it with me over Thanksgiving leave here. I am just dbl checking some info here to make sure i got it all right, he's not fully appreciative of NJ's gun laws yet.Does not have a NJ FPID yet.

1) Gun is legal in NC & NJ.

2) Gun/ammo will be locked up per FOPA.

3) Drive directly home once in NJ, no stopping at friends,etc.

4) Once here he can drive directly to/from range only

5) Bring his own ammo into NJ, cant legally acquire here.

Am I missing anything? Oh yea- told him needs to get his adj stock pinned before he gets here- NOT happy about that one! And NO 30 rd mags!!!

Afaik the rules of transport are different for long guns. As long as its unloaded and in the trunk he's gtg to drive around with it. And I think he can buy rifle ammo here.

Please correct me if I'm wrong everyone.

You'd be okay IF he had a NJ FID. Since he doesn't, he can't. He can buy rifle ammo here however no FID req'd by law but some stores require it anyway.

FOPA does not apply in Jersey as a destination state, so don't worry about that.

Since he doesn't have FID, I don't know if he can transport the rifle to your home. If it was a handgun, the answer would be NO, and a rifle without FID is similar to handgun in Jersey but somebody else will have to answer since I'm not confident citing and interpreting the law on rifles.

FOPA does not apply in Jersey as a destination state, so don't worry about that.

Since he doesn't have FID, I don't know if he can transport the rifle to your home. If it was a handgun, the answer would be NO, and a rifle without FID is similar to handgun in Jersey but somebody else will have to answer since I'm not confident citing and interpreting the law on rifles.

Your suspicion is excactly what is nagging me- i see exemptions for going to/from the range,gunshop,residence/business,moving, no fpid....but for"visiting" his home? Too many variables between laws for transport, ownership,duell residency,NJ!!!...I'm just not convinced it actually is ok to bring it up and told him just that for now. We may err on the side of caution and not bring it untill I find out otherwise or some points out where it says gtg, cant seem to nail this down.

How pathetic is this, A member of the armed forces, serving his country, gets leave to visit his parents, and can't figure out if it's ok to come home to have a nice target shooting day with his father.

Wow this state's laws are so F'd up.