Sign in to follow this  
TheSingularity

Hypothetically, could a 32-in overall length., 16-in.-barrel, US-made rifle, have its shoulder stock custom cut down for a 26+ in. overall length?

If you had a rifle, US-made, not on the banned list - 32 inches overall length, and a 16 inch barrel from the factory. Would it be legal to have the shoulder stock custom cut down for an overall length of the rifle to be 26.5 or 27 inches?

Let's use a Hi Point carbine as an example. I think the factory overall length is about 31 or 32 inches. Would there be anything illegal about altering the shoulder stock to somehow trim it down in this way?

Rifle

• Overall Length 26in or more
  • Barrel Length 16in or more

I don't believe cutting down a stock would lead toward destructive content, or manufacturing. Or any of that nonsense.

As long as you don't don't alter the overall length(OAL) or barrel length, I think you should be alright. Wait for someone more knowledgeable to give you a definite before you start cutting.

PK90 in 3...2....1...

New Jersey:

26" minimum OAL

16" minimum barrel length

FEDERAL:

26" minimum OAL in shooting configuration

16" minimum barrel length

The way you have written both of these out, it seems you are trying to say there is a difference between the two when it comes to overall length. Can you give an example of a gun that is Federal legal but not NJ (or vice versa)?

The way you have written both of these out, it seems you are trying to say there is a difference between the two when it comes to overall length. Can you give an example of a gun that is Federal legal but not NJ (or vice versa)?

In some states there are different definitions for things like machine guns, sbrs, etc. than the federal definition. I think he was just being clear and specific. I.e. legal federally, and legal in nj, thus legal for the op.