Sign in to follow this  
Parker

Tracking Point 'Precision Guided Firearms'

Let's see, what else can I invent that will allow me to develop even fewer skills? What we really need is a ipad that can identify friend or foe instantly, then vaporize them with a laser beam. Or how about an iphone app that tells you where the deer SLEEP so you don't even have to learn how to HUNT anymore??

Let's see, what else can I invent that will allow me to develop even fewer skills? What we really need is a ipad that can identify friend or foe instantly, then vaporize them with a laser beam. Or how about an iphone app that tells you where the deer SLEEP so you don't even have to learn how to HUNT anymore??

I agree. But man has been perfecting his hunting craft since the day he discovered that sinew and yew flinging a stick tipped with chipped flint was a better alternative than spears, clubs or rocks. Gadgetry is good sometimes, but often dumbs us down in many ways. I think some iPhone apps are already available to track deer movement, map terrain, link with weather, establish patterns based on moon phase, etc. You can buy an ozone device that floods the air around you to mask your scent. Hunters don't expose themselves to the elements anymore, they sit in portable blinds. When it comes to field-dressing game, there's the Butt-Out tool, the Deer-Zipper, the Dreader, the Koomer P.T.S. ...........what happened to the good ol' knife and small hand axe? Um, you get my drift.

But I do want to try some Barnes TTSX bullets in a couple calibers for next year. Is that cheating? :icon_e_biggrin:

If humans have been "outsmarting" deer (and other humans) for centuries, WHY do we need all this gadgetry to "outsmart" a deer? Oh right... because we WANT STUFF and companies want to MAKE MONEY. (nothing against profit)

So much of this stuff makes me laugh a little- I MUST HAVE a pistol-grip 12 gauge with the chainsaw handle, with an integral mounted flashlight AND laser... not to mention an adaptor so I can mount my iphone to the rail and use my deer-finding app! Ridiculousness! :laugh:

off topic... is that Barnes stuff like the Hornady SST stuff? Looks like it...

If humans have been "outsmarting" deer (and other humans) for centuries, WHY do we need all this gadgetry to "outsmart" a deer? Oh right... because we WANT STUFF and companies want to MAKE MONEY. (nothing against profit)

So much of this stuff makes me laugh a little- I MUST HAVE a pistol-grip 12 gauge with the chainsaw handle, with an integral mounted flashlight AND laser... not to mention an adaptor so I can mount my iphone to the rail and use my deer-finding app! Ridiculousness! :laugh:

off topic... is that Barnes stuff like the Hornady SST stuff? Looks like it....

Humans enjoy convenience with gadgets they perceive make things easy. And in today's age where "I gotta have it now" is the theme, it's no surprise to me. Ridiculousness is "in."

And yes, companies like firearms and ammunition makers want to make money too, that's one reason why they are always changing their offerings or stepping up their game. (Q: Is there really a need for fifteen different cartridge chamberings just for the .284 bullet?)

Off topic: The Barnes Tipped TSX is more like the Hornady GMX, both are 100% copper with a polymer tip. Both the TSX and GMX rely on lighter weight by caliber (I.E. using an 80 gr. in a .243 instead of the 100 gr. for hunting.) The trade-off is a poorer BC. The SST's are merely polymer-tipped, but retain a conventional lead core using Hornady's InterLock design. I've used the regular Interlock's on game and they've held together, but I've never tried them in calibers below .243. I picked up some SST's I want to try out as well. I tried Barnes many years ago in a caliber they no longer make but have heard good things from my friends using the TSX bullets on deer-sized game.