mag1

Stock for 700 .308 heavy barrel

I have decided I do not like my stock on the remington 700 ADL.It is the camo one from dsg.

It has a 26" barrel, so its not light.

I need a different stock, budget about $300.

Any recommendations? I like the lightweights, but I do not think it is wise to use with such a heavy barrel.

I have been looking at Choate, Bell Carlson, and H-S(used).

Gonna use for hunting and target. Try to keep a tac look.

I have been using Google Chrome instead of Firefox that I used for 10 years and it keeps on refreshing or going back and making me lose all my typed words so I am going to have t give you a quick post instead of a detailed post (Boo hoo I know i Know).

Anyway, HS Precision is the probable "cheapest" of the "high quality" options. I know that both Remington and Savage use them for factory rifles in their tactical 700 series(I forget which models, NOT THe SPS Tactical but some other one i believe maybe the Target Tactical) and the Savage uses several Model 10 LE rifles with HS Precision. If I got one for Christmas I would mount if happily.

You could consider Choate which makes excellent stuff at excellent values... riflestock dot com.

I am in the process of building myself a 'sniper rifle' - basically a tactical rifle in the USMC / US Army style of M40 - M24 knockoffs. I have a very awesome Remington 700 'SPS Tactical' "AAC-SD" .308 w/ 20" Heavy Barrel & Tactical Rifling 1:10 ... It includes a Hogue OverMolded Stock w/ aluminum pillar bedding (NOT the full bed block) .. this is a basic bedding job which is much better than the standard injection molded plastic stocks the SPS Tactical and most other factory rifles are included with.. BUT IT IS NOT a glass job (real fiberglass bedding) or a real aluminum pillar bedding like the better Hogue)/

So I have bought a lot of accessories for my rifle, trying to buy the best in each category one by one, and stock will be my last because I am going to wait till I can get a very very nice one. pART of me wants to wait for the AICS system, Accuracy Internation Chassis System with a nice pistol gripped thumbhole stock for gripping, a forend perfect for resting on sandbags or field expedient (read: junk set in the heat of battle) rests all the way to fancy pantsy perfect tables and benchrest sets for competition, AND Bipods if necessary etc. plus it has the detachable magazines. But it's like $800 minimum (I think like 2-300 more for foldable rear stock) ...

I think I will more likely go with McMillan which is regarded as the overall best of the rest/best and is expensive yet affordable. The McMillan A4/A5 are regarded as top of the line law enforcement/military sniper rifle stocks currently in use by a TON of local / state/ federal law enforcement agencies... and the A4 was I believe the USMC M40A3 stock, (the M40A3 being the predominant sniper rifle in Iraq, it had just been deployed fully before the war and saw great use. In Afghanistan everyone was complaining the 7.62 NATO was not good enough for long distance /angular warfare in the mtns, so they wwre deploying all kinds of rifles and calibers while the M40A3 won the war for sniping Marines).. I personally really really like the McMillan General Purpose Hunting stock.. an old school colored-camo scheme, with available sticky-grippies on the pistol-gripping area and forend gripping area (you can order specify without but I like) and an adjustable cheek rest /comb area which is perfect for a guy like me who is small and prefers a short shoulder purchase but high scope view .. AND it's affordable. The McMillan General Purpose Hunting stock made the USMC M40A1 which was the original be-all/end-all sniper rifle which revolutionized sniping for them (Gave them the 700 in 7.62x51 NATO vs. the .30-06 Winchester 70's... basically a real built sniper rifle vs. the Deer rifle they had been given (a damned good deer rifle of course) ).. then the really nice scopes, with the synthetic fiberglass and glass-bedded stocks CHANGED EVERYTHING for them in the jungle enviforment and beyond. So I like that scope to complete my M32 SWS ( 32 is halface'd between 24 and 40, SWS = Scrappy's Weapon System)...

http://www.louisianaprecisionrifles.com/images/products/mcmillan-m40a-stock.jpg That is a picture of the stock I will buy,

followed by a USMC M40A1 built upon it. http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYcfynmujtX8im1yQb0y8Q2UDV6KKxlAaHCUvIHZQGLY5xngXPWfZnrwPz

Excellent write up Scrap.

I am a fanboy of the Manners Composite Stocks. They are in the same class as McMillan but I think have a few more nice optional features on them like the KMW loggerhead hardware and the Manners Mini Chasis so you can drop in any Rem 700 action and use the stock immediately.

Mcree and KRG make good stuff too.

DOnt know what you budget is but an adjustable Manners w/ Mini chasis will cost you about $1000 and a 4-5 month wait.

BullzeyeNJ thank you very much for a great compliment!!!!

mag1 I have to say if your budget is $500 you opened up IMHO a whole can of possibilites, HS Precision again is a fine stock, but is IMHO and ONLY MY HUMBLE OPINION the bottom of the high quality tiered stocks, but $500 only allows you much more possibilites IMHO. (Both in brand name, style, and even toper-tiered HS P's )

And sir while I certainly believe you and know your experience,

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-622/McMillan-M40A1-HTG-fdsh-TEX-Tactical/Detail

For example they told me I would be good to go, as I am following the product to the right thing, I have a heavy barreled Remington 700 with a short action, with the hinged floor plate, and it should be fairly drop in fine.

also on the McMillan website,

http://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-stocks-hunting-stock-list.php?subnav=branch2g

Of which I like many many of their stocks but focusing on the one i already specified, ... on their website fAQ, do I need to bed, they say "We have found that in most cases our drop-in and custom fitted stocks provide better than adequate accuracy unbedded. However, the final determination is left up to the individual shooter" -- in then says for regular rifles they use in house actions to fit it so unless its a custom job it should be fit to your action but if you doubt it or want perfection consult your local gunsmith OR Send your action to them for the ultimate fitting job (MHO I dont need that level of perfection).

If I am looking at this wrong *PLEASE* do nto take me as arguign I would certainly like to know now rather than after I bought it to find I needed it to be gunsmithed just to work.

And also the AICS clearly said it was drop in fit, is that wrong too?

+1

AICS: bedding block: fits pretty much all Rem 700 SA or LA actions or clones. Drop in your barreled action and tighten two bolts. Done...go shoot.

McMillan: no bedding block: You would have to custom bed the barreled action to the stock. You can do it yourself if handy but most have a riflesmith do it. Cost: $250-300 in addition to the cost of the basic stock.

I have to get out the door so Ill answer in more detail later but, an AICS is a chassis system that does NOT require bedding. A McBros stock, to get the desired effect of going with a custom stock, does in my opinion.

Scrap, Shane, and Bullzeye, Thank you. I didnt know about the bedding part.

I got an email from McMillan today, and quoted me a price of $488 plus shipping for an inleted finish of my choice hunting stock, pachmyer decelerator recoil pad, and 2 sling studs.

So $800 (backorder) for an aics and it doesn't have to be bedded.

How does the detachable stock box magazine work with the ADL?

The other stock options would be the same price with the bedding..Hmmm.

How much weight would the AICS stock add to my already heavy rifle?

There was an AICS for sale on this forum recently.....

It is heavy, no doubt about it. You will likely be about a 16lb rifle with glass.

16lbs, wow! How much does a stock like that weigh compared to the others above, if you know?

The pistol grip is more appealing to me, thumbhole not so much. That turned me away from the HK SL8.

Thanks

Rifle stocks are a personal thing. If it fits your meat suit and your shooting grip comfortably then that may be the stock for you. If your barreled action likes it and it spits out bughole sized groups then thats of course important as well. With both these factors working together then you have a winning combo.

I have had stocks that the rifle shot great in but I could not get comfortable behind. And vice versa...grouped loose but felt great. In both instances I sold the stocks.

Personally, I like the Manners T4A or T5A stocks. Almost equally, I like the McMillan A5. The AICS never shot well for me. It shoots great for most people.

Mcrees Precision and the Whiskey KRG stock are worth a look too. I have both and they are both winners.

Rifle stocks are a personal thing. If it fits your meat suit and your shooting grip comfortably then that may be the stock for you. If your barreled action likes it and it spits out bughole sized groups then thats of course important as well. With both these factors working together then you have a winning combo.

I have had stocks that the rifle shot great in but I could not get comfortable behind. And vice versa...grouped loose but felt great. In both instances I sold the stocks.

Personally, I like the Manners T4A or T5A stocks. Almost equally, I like the McMillan A5. The AICS never shot well for me. It shoots great for most people.

Mcrees Precision and the Whiskey KRG stock are worth a look too. I have both and they are both winners.

I just read a thread that most competition shooters use the McMillan and Manners.

I just need to get a stock on this one before I go nuts and blind from sitting in front of this laptop so much

Hey I again am not looking to fight or argue, but I am confused because you guys are telling me one thing that was told opposite to me, I had checked out a while back and was told McMillan would send my stock all ready to go (OF COURSE *I COULD* have the rifle bedded but it was not at all necessary-

FAQ ? # 14 :. Do I need to bed the receiver?

We have found that in most cases our drop-in and custom fitted stocks provide better than adequate accuracy unbedded. However, the final determination is left up to the individual shooter. Bedding services are available from your local gunsmith. We no longer offer bedding services.

past that down to question # 17 it addresses cost:

For hunting and sporting stocks there is a standard price for a completely finished "Drop-in Stock" which includes a Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil pad, Uncle Mikes sling swivel studs, and the finish of your choice

Are we differing because I am looking at the Hunting stock choice and you are talking about the Tactical Stock choices ? Again I was most likely going with the old M40A1 styled stock camo, adjustable cheek'd stock General Purpose Hunting ... When you look in the Tactical Stock listings it is listed as M40A-1 HTG (General Purpose Hunting) ... But under Hunting Stocks it is just (Adjustable) HTG - General Purpose Hunting .. The pictures look exactly the same... so I am thinking it is ready to go, no?

I am emailing them because I agree, IF it's $525 plus $250 worth of Gunsmith services just to mount it for use then I agree, the AICS would be a smarter deal @ 700 drop in brand new.

"Are we differing because I am looking at the Hunting stock choice and you are talking about the Tactical Stock choices "

YES

Scrap, its only a smarter deal to go with the AICS if it fits you well. A lot of people have trouble getting behind one. For me, the McMillan/Manners stocks are more comfortable BUT I get a very consistant lock up on the AI products so Im good with it.

And now for my general position on the matter...

McMillan sells stocks. They sure arent going to say it is required. But the question becomes, if your not going to bed it, why bother at all? The point of the pursuit is not to look tacticool. It is to improve consistancy which is a major part of precision shooting. So take a Remington 700 PSS for example. You ditch the HS precision stock and toss it in a McMillan without bedding. All you changed is the appearance. You are not likely to improve the accuracy of the rifle. Hey if you want bragging rights and the ooh ahhh factor when you open the safe for your friends, by all means, slap whatever blows your skirt up on it. But if you want performance from the investment, it needs to be bedded.

If you would like a simple verification of what Im saying, find me a custom rifle builder that will give an accuracy guaruntee on one of their rifles in an unbedded Manners or McMillan. Go look on FN's website. Look at the price of the reguler FN SPR. Then look at the price of the FN SPR A3G. The G is the FBI contract spec rifle, it is bedded by GA Precision.

I just got an email from one of my colleagues that lives in CO.

He said what about going with a MDT Tac21 chasis..I never knew about them.

He said one is for sale for $500, then all I would have to do it get an AR stock and grip? No bedding needed, it has a vbed?

He is not sure about accuracy ( which I do not think it can be all that accurate), and did say if the aics was in my budget and looks, go with that.

I still like the McMillan or Manners idea and get the bedding done..Seem to me it would be lighter and a little more to what I would like in looks, but that MDT looks pretty badass.

Scrap, if directed at me I think you might have missed the deliberate seperation between the 2 short answers to you and my general statement derived from having answered these questions 10,000 times. Not directed at anyone in particuler. OK well mabe mag 1 cuz hes a wanker :D

Whats wrong with you. Wanker is australian for badass! Thanks shane