so_dank

Sportsman carry permit??????

Guy at work tells me you can get a sportsman carry permit. To top It will be issued unlike a concealed carry in NJ. Used for in woods activity only transport still follows typical transportation as if going to the range. Cannot be used to hunt obviously but for protection of predators. I call BS but after Google search I find nothing on sportsman carry NJ. So I ask you is he full of it or is there something I'm missing??

A quick bing search tells me that PA issues "Sportsman Carry Permits" which allows you to carry concealed solely for the purposes of fishing or hunting. Maybe your friend is mixing up PA and NJ.

Guy at work tells me you can get a sportsman carry permit. To top It will be issued unlike a concealed carry in NJ. Used for in woods activity only transport still follows typical transportation as if going to the range. Cannot be used to hunt obviously but for protection of predators. I call BS but after Google search I find nothing on sportsman carry NJ. So I ask you is he full of it or is there something I'm missing??

Your friend is thinking about NY. I had a concealed carry permit in NY state which was classified as Sportsman. It's not limited to woods only activity, it's limited to what the judge who issues the permit will grant you.

Your friend is thinking about NY. I had a concealed carry permit in NY state which was classified as Sportsman. It's not limited to woods only activity, it's limited to what the judge who issues the permit will grant you.

How do you go about getting one for NY state? I love to hike/camp in the Adirondack mountains but have had some run ins with bears and the last one was to close for comfort. It sat on the side of my tent while we were in it. One of my feet was under it!. I have bear spray but i dont trust it 100% so i wouldent mind haveing a gun too.

How do you go about getting one for NY state? I love to hike/camp in the Adirondack mountains but have had some run ins with bears and the last one was to close for comfort. It sat on the side of my tent while we were in it. One of my feet was under it!. I have bear spray but i dont trust it 100% so i wouldent mind haveing a gun too.

My apologies - I should of been more clear. While I had a legal permanent residence in the state of NY I had a concealed carry permit. Obtaining an out-of-state Non-Resident NYS CCW is similar to our concealed carry status in NJ. It's on the books, but is seldom implemented.

In the nj statute there is an exemption for carrying firearms and knives while fishing or hunting if appropriate for fishing or hunting. That is too vague for comfort for me but in the 90s my dad had his revolver with him while fishing, relying on that exemption. Who knows, could be in the 60s and 70s this was allowed. Half of the law is the unwritten rule of what police allow to slide. Not too long ago much wiggle room existed. Seems nothing is allowed to slide nowadays with zero tolerance policing in vogue.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

In the nj statute there is an exemption for carrying firearms and knives while fishing or hunting if appropriate for fishing or hunting. That is too vague for comfort for me but in the 90s my dad had his revolver with him while fishing, relying on that exemption. Who knows, could be in the 60s and 70s this was allowed. Half of the law is the unwritten rule of what police allow to slide. Not too long ago much wiggle room existed. Seems nothing is allowed to slide nowadays with zero tolerance policing in vogue.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Handguns, never. Knives, yes.

- 2C:39-6. f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5

shall be construed to prevent... (2) A person carrying a firearm

or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State

for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided

that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting

or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession

a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing,

a valid fishing license;

(3) A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a) Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or

fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid

hunting or fishing license;

My apologies - I should of been more clear. While I had a legal permanent residence in the state of NY I had a concealed carry permit. Obtaining an out-of-state Non-Resident NYS CCW is similar to our concealed carry status in NJ. It's on the books, but is seldom implemented.

Ok I figured it was to good to be true LOL. I will just stick with camping in vermont then.

A guy that was in my hunting club told me he had for several years a NJ carry license that was limited to "sportsman's use" (or something to that effect, basically he could carry a handgun in the woods only). He told me, some time in the 1980's he went to renew it and was told they don't give these out anymore, and that was the end of it. That would be the only time I ever heard of something like that.