Luso

Buying handgun out of state in person?

There is a hard-to-find handgun that a CT shop has informed me is going to receive a large shipment of. He told me he is way too busy to ship out of state directly. However, he said I can go to his shop, buy it from him, and have it then shipped to a local NJ FFL..

1. Is this legal?

2. Wouldn't I have to have a permit to purchase in CT to even start the transaction? I lived there and it required a carry permit from the state to buy any handguns.

Or does the fact that you are immediately shipping it to another ffl circumvent the law in CT and make you subject to only NJ law?

And if it is legal, would I have to ostensibly pay for two NICS checks? One in ct and then one at the point of sale in NJ?

You are not taking possession of it in Connecticut, so no NICS there. Pay the man and have it shipped you your NJ FFL. it is basically like buying a gun from GunBroker.com when the seller is an FFL. You don't even need to go to CT. You could mail the guy a check or use your credit card. The important part is that you provide him with a copy of your FFL so he can legally ship there.

There is a hard-to-find handgun that a CT shop has informed me is going to receive a large shipment of. He told me he is way too busy to ship out of state directly. However, he said I can go to his shop, buy it from him, and have it then shipped to a local NJ FFL..

How I am reading the above, he is to busy to ship it. But he will sell it to you in person, and allow you to ship it to an FFL. That is the only interpretation of his statement that makes any sense to me.

Sounds like more trouble then it's worth to me.

Yeah, I didn't understand this difference either. I figured I could buy it with a credit card over the phone and email him the ffl info in jersey

And it normally would not be worth the trouble, but this gun is nowhere to be found in stores or online

If he is too busy to ship then my understanding of your post is that you can buy it in person and then ship it to a NJ FFL yourself which would technically be illegal since you would have to take possession in order to ship it. If he is too busy to ship it, then it shouldn't matter how to pay for it, be it over the phone with a CC or in person.

How I am reading the above, he is to busy to ship it. But he will sell it to you in person, and allow you to ship it to an FFL. That is the only interpretation of his statement that makes any sense to me. Sounds like more trouble then it's worth to me.

Ha. Reading Is Fundamental. I thought this was the usual question about buying and having it shipped. I can't say that it would be OK for the OP to take possession of it in CT as a NJ resident. I will leave that question to the pros.

If you're committed to getting this handgun from this FFL in CT who is **so busy** that he can't process a payment remotely then at least take a pre-labeled and postage-paid box addressed from the CT FFL to your NJ FFL so that the CT FFL can just drop the handgun in the box, seal it up and mail it. Give him one less excuse to delay the shipping.

It is illegal for you to take possession of the handgun in CT. The transfer to you MUST occur via an NJ FFL.

I just confirmed with him and he said I can only do this if I am in person, he will not do it over the phone. I completely agree with the idea that to be legal it has to be shipped to an FFL in NJ, it's just strange that I have to be there in person. I figured online purchases are no different..you pay, it gets shipped to your FFL, then it goes through the process...I think he literally is making so much money in state he doesn't want to waste time with out-of-staters and figures myself and others wouldn't bother to drive there? not sure.

I just confirmed with him and he said I can only do this if I am in person, he will not do it over the phone. I completely agree with the idea that to be legal it has to be shipped to an FFL in NJ, it's just strange that I have to be there in person. I figured online purchases are no different..you pay, it gets shipped to your FFL, then it goes through the process...I think he literally is making so much money in state he doesn't want to waste time with out-of-staters and figures myself and others wouldn't bother to drive there? not sure.

Actually, sounds to me like he's been burned on an out-of-state purchase. You can cancel credit card transactions. You can even cancel payment on cashier's checks AFTER they've been cashed for a period of time and funds are recalled. I'm actually wondering if it's a specific shop that I once dealt with for a very desireable 1911. Fellow would not accept payment by credit card, would not accept payment by certified funds, would not hold it for me, and would sell it to me in person only. Needless to say, the gun was that desireable and that insanely priced that I dropped everything and drove to pay the man. He did ship it down to my FFL for me without quibble. Do tell, who is it and what firearm?

will gladly tell.... after it's sitting in my safe! :-)

If he's been burned with CC payments, you may want to see if he will take a PO money order, those are accepted by most people and are as good as cash. It would beat driving to CT if you don't have to.