Sign in to follow this  
TheDon

Don't Punish Nobody Ain't Done Nothing To Nobody

Team,

Please get this video out there. Post it on your social networking and encourage everyone you know to help this go viral.

Please be polite, respectful and positive.

I wish the industry would tell the NRA to step back and let the NSSF represent us on the AWB.

I actually dont care for this speach to much. Its not bad mind you but I absolutely disagree with greater penalties for crimes commited with a firearm. In my view it perpetuates the demonization of the device and not the crime. It should not matter if it was a rolling pin, butcher knife, car, or luisville slugger that is used to murder, the murder should be the focus, not the impliment. Greater penalties due to the device keep the focus on the device imo.

Well said, Shane. Trying to justify gun rights by advocating stronger penalties for guns, stricter drug laws, video game censorship, etc is a strategy where we ALL lose in the end. It's like the guy at work who tries to stay out of trouble by ratting on everyone else. I have no respect for this weasel strategy.

I don't recall any advocation for stricter penalties. I thought the message was: enforce the laws we already have and punish the criminals.

And you do not have to support a position 100% to advocate it.

ETA: Part of the reason the NRA's message is failing is because the are trying to be the perfect pro-gun organization; advocating arguments that will only be won amongst pro-gunners (essentiall, preaching to the choir).

If we want to win, we will need to compromise. If forced to compromise, I would happily give up on things like sentensing and background checks.

The anti-gunners understand that they are the minority and that they need to sway the people in the middle.

If you think about it, they have offered a very simple and logical argument for someone who does not understand too much about firearms.

We need a simple response. Decompose the premises in the ban argument and offer another reasonable solution.

If we keep up with counterintuitive arguments about teachers carying firearms, more guns less violence, etc., we will lose.

It's about winning people over from the middle, not fighting anti-gunners.

Just my humble opinion.

Im not sure i agree the nra message is failing. The survey of my personal sphere seems to indicate otherwise. For example my mother in law whome owns no firearms joined the nra! We have discussed topics for many years and although not anti, she was certainly reserved. Same for my dad. In fact all fence sitters i know are now solidly in our camp. I will watch it again but im pretty sure the speach included language about how they advocated stiffer penalties and gave examples.

I did not mean to imply that the NRA's approach is a complete failure. I just do not see it changing the minds of people who believe the ban would be limited to military grade weapons that have no purpose other than killing people. The latest polls indicate that people sincerely believe what the POTUS told them, Someone needs to attack to premises upon which the anti-gunners are making their case for reasonable gun control.

- Assault weapons are not "military-grade."

- Many assault weapons are legitimate hunting and sporting rifles. Millions of people own them and use them legitimately.

- The AWB as proposed does ban AR's but also would ban virtually every semiautomatic rifle and shotgun, if not by features, then by name.

This is what I heard in the video. Obviously people observe things from their own perspective.

"More Guns = Less Crime" Is the single most stupid thing the pro-gun lobby has ever come up with.

Economics, race, culture, parenting, drug policy, all effect crime far more than civilian gun ownership.

The country has changed a lot over the years, there is no way you can accurately attribute it to guns. At best you can simply say that correlation does not equal causation.

yes, even that guy who wrote that book, he's wrong too.

The Don, perhaps there is a value in diverse messages. Like just about everything no one can embody the right answer for everyone. But I think we can agree the majority of it is in the right direction.

Glass I think you better go do your homework. It is not the invention of the pro gun lobby. It is actually the invention of an anti gunner. The problem was that the anti gunner that came up with it was not devious like most anti gunners. He did not bend the facts into a false truth. His research changed his position on the subject entirely. But based on your comments I guess you believe the FBI and such agencies are wrong too? I guess all the states that observed a major reduction in crime right after right to cary, all had a sudden shift in race, drug policy and economics?

http://www.justfacts.../guncontrol.asp