Sign in to follow this  
tjk40

new shooter rifle class in southern Nj?

hey folks,

i'm new to the sport and about to acquire my first rifle, a ruger mini 14, i would like to learn the basics for myself and my wife and am not sure where to begin in southern NJ. thanks for taking the time

ps-why a mini14- cause the A-Team was the best show ever, and only a mini possesses the accuracy to shoot so closely to the bad guys to convince them to give up with out ever hitting them ;)

i'm new to the sport and about to acquire my first rifle, a ruger mini 14, i would like to learn the basics for myself and my wife and am not sure where to begin in southern NJ. thanks for taking the time

ps-why a mini14- cause the A-Team was the best show ever, and only a mini possesses the accuracy to shoot so closely to the bad guys to convince them to give up with out ever hitting them ;)

Lol I can just imagine when you shoot silhouette, the bullet holes will be all around the target.

I started with an NRA pistol class. It was nice introduction with basics like types of firearms, types of action, parts, safety rules, and sight picture.

Then I got interested in rifles, and I attended an Appleseed in Winslow NJ. That was great learning on position shootings of standing, sitting and prone. Lots to learn: sighting in a rifle,breathing and tempo, chicken-wing, etc.. .the most important thing I learned to appreciate during those 2 days was deceptive importance of natural point of aim.

If it is your first rifle, one idea you might consider: buy a second rifle. It seems silly, but: liberty training rifle. (1) It's basically a $250 Ruger 10/22 with $60 tech-sights (2) and $15 sling. CCI SV 22lr costs about 6cents a trigger pull, compared to 50 cents for a cheap .223 ammo if you can find. The rifle will shoot <3 inches at 50 yards, and after 2 bricks of 500 rounds, it has paid for itself. Reduced cost is especially helpful when you have 2 people trying to learn.

I still go back to rimfires for inexpensive training.

I zero my 22lr for 50 yards, and holdover 8 inches for 100 yards.

I zero my .223 for 200 yards, and holdover 8 inches for 300 yards.

(1) http://appleseedproject.blogspot.com/2008/02/liberty-training-rifle.html

(2) http://www.tech-sights.com/

(3) http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart.com/?p=detail&pid=10

thanks for the feedback fellas i appreciate you taking the time. i will definately check out the AC course, i didn't know i was that close to it. and i checked out that appleseed thing, it sounds like a good deal for someone like me that's not ex military. and a ruger 10/22 is on for my next purchase, especially with the price of ammo right now.