Kaiser7

Response from Senator Turner

Just received a letter from Senator Turner.

"Thank you for your telephone call expressing your opposition to S2464, which regulates the sale and transfer of rifle and shotgun ammunition. The title of the bill is misleading. I would like to explain the bill to help provide you with a better understanding.

The bill prevents individuals who cannot legally purchase a firearm from purchasing rifle or shotgun ammunition. Individuals who cannot legally purchase a firearm are already prohibited from purchasing handgun ammunition; however, the purchase of rifle and shotgun ammunition was inadvertantly excluded fromt he law. The bill has no bearing on individuals who can legally purchase firearms, firearm collectors, or law enforcement officers. I am certain that you will agree that Individuals who have no legal right to purchase a firearm due to their criminal record or mental history should not have access to ammunition for any type of firearm, since their possession of a firearm is illegal.

I hope this explanation is helpful to you. I have enclosed a copy of the bill for your review. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me."

I dont know how I feel about this, I think people that cant own a gun legally shouldn't be allowed to buy ammo, but I think its just giving into another regulation that may not do anything to curb violence.

Lets say I don't own a gun, but I know there is an ammo shortage so I want to buy up a bunch of ammo for resale to make a personal profit, why should that persons right be taken. I just dont know.

Just received a letter from Senator Turner.

"Thank you for your telephone call expressing your opposition to S2464, which regulates the sale and transfer of rifle and shotgun ammunition. The title of the bill is misleading. I would like to explain the bill to help provide you with a better understanding.

The bill prevents individuals who cannot legally purchase a firearm from purchasing rifle or shotgun ammunition. Individuals who cannot legally purchase a firearm are already prohibited from purchasing handgun ammunition; however, the purchase of rifle and shotgun ammunition was inadvertantly excluded fromt he law. The bill has no bearing on individuals who can legally purchase firearms, firearm collectors, or law enforcement officers. I am certain that you will agree that Individuals who have no legal right to purchase a firearm due to their criminal record or mental history should not have access to ammunition for any type of firearm, since their possession of a firearm is illegal.

I hope this explanation is helpful to you. I have enclosed a copy of the bill for your review. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me."

I think she need's a "better understanding" of NJ laws. An 18 year old can own a rifle or a handgun LEGALLY (will, resident of another state moves to NJ etc), without having a FPID. How is this person prohibited? SO now a law abiding citizen is unable to purchase ammunition for any of his guns. Thank you very much for your incorrect interpretation of NJ laws.

Not to mention a father giving his 15 yo son some shotgun ammo while they are out hunting is now committing a crime of the 4th degree. Isn't that special?

I dont know how I feel about this, I think people that cant own a gun legally shouldn't be allowed to buy ammo, but I think its just giving into another regulation that may not do anything to curb violence.

Lets say I don't own a gun, but I know there is an ammo shortage so I want to buy up a bunch of ammo for resale to make a personal profit, why should that persons right be taken. I just dont know.

This bill prevents you from buying ammo online.

I think she need's a "better understanding" of NJ laws. An 18 year old can own a rifle or a handgun LEGALLY, without having a FPID. How is this person prohibited? SO now a law abiding citizen is unable to purchase ammunition for any of his guns. Thank you very much for your incorrect interpretation of NJ laws.

Contact her and mention that, I hadn't even realized it, I was more concerned about buying ammo online, since that's where I get most of my ammo.

OK, here is my response to Senator Turner's response...

Dear Senator Turner:

I recently read your response to one of your constituents with regard to his opposition to the above-captioned bill. To refresh your memory, you responded, in part:

The bill prevents individuals who cannot legally purchase a firearm from purchasing rifle or shotgun ammunition. Individuals who cannot legally purchase a firearm are already prohibited from purchasing handgun ammunition; however, the purchase of rifle and shotgun ammunition was inadvertently excluded from he law. The bill has no bearing on individuals who can legally purchase firearms, firearm collectors, or law enforcement officers. I am certain that you will agree that Individuals who have no legal right to purchase a firearm due to their criminal record or mental history should not have access to ammunition for any type of firearm, since their possession of a firearm is illegal.

You prefaced your response by saying that you were going to provide him with a better understanding of the bill. I am afraid that you are the one that needs a better understanding of NJ firearms law.

This law adds long gun ammunition to that for which one must have a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FPID), and you mistakenly make the connection that if one does not possess an FPID, but owns firearms, they must be a prohibited person. With a stroke of your pen, you have criminalized a portion of the gun owning population of New Jersey. Please note that the “P” in FPID does not stand for “Possession”, it stands for “Purchaser”. There are many people in this state who legally own firearms and enjoy them while target shooting or competing who do not possess a FPID. New Jersey law allows firearms legally purchased outside the state, i.e. while the owner is a resident of another state, to be legally brought into the state when the owner changes their state of residence to New Jersey. There is no requirement for registration, or for the procurement of a FPID. You are now forcing them to go to the expense and trouble of applying for a FPID, which in these circumstances, now becomes, defacto registration. Hopefully an unintended consequence, but given the climate would seem to be more likely deliberate.

Your bill will do absolutely nothing to decrease “Gun Violence”, just as the other 20,000 gun laws on the books across the country do nothing to prevent criminals from preying upon the innocent. We need crime control, not gun, or ammunition, control. My major contention with legislators that craft bills such as yours, is that they know little to nothing about the subject they are legislating and as a result we get flawed bills that only further oppress the law abiding, while having no effect on the criminal element. Show me some empirical data that supports your position – not emotional hyperbole or supposition, our laws are rife with that now.

I respectfully request that you withdraw your bill from consideration.

Sincerely,

Adios,

Pizza Bob

OK, here is my response to Senator Turner's response...

Dear Senator Turner:

I recently read your response to one of your constituents with regard to his opposition to the above-captioned bill. To refresh your memory, you responded, in part:

The bill prevents individuals who cannot legally purchase a firearm from purchasing rifle or shotgun ammunition. Individuals who cannot legally purchase a firearm are already prohibited from purchasing handgun ammunition; however, the purchase of rifle and shotgun ammunition was inadvertently excluded from he law. The bill has no bearing on individuals who can legally purchase firearms, firearm collectors, or law enforcement officers. I am certain that you will agree that Individuals who have no legal right to purchase a firearm due to their criminal record or mental history should not have access to ammunition for any type of firearm, since their possession of a firearm is illegal.

You prefaced your response by saying that you were going to provide him with a better understanding of the bill. I am afraid that you are the one that needs a better understanding of NJ firearms law.

This law adds long gun ammunition to that for which one must have a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FPID), and you mistakenly make the connection that if one does not possess an FPID, but owns firearms, they must be a prohibited person. With a stroke of your pen, you have criminalized a portion of the gun owning population of New Jersey. Please note that the “P” in FPID does not stand for “Possession”, it stands for “Purchaser”. There are many people in this state who legally own firearms and enjoy them while target shooting or competing who do not possess a FPID. New Jersey law allows firearms legally purchased outside the state, i.e. while the owner is a resident of another state, to be legally brought into the state when the owner changes their state of residence to New Jersey. There is no requirement for registration, or for the procurement of a FPID. You are now forcing them to go to the expense and trouble of applying for a FPID, which in these circumstances, now becomes, defacto registration. Hopefully an unintended consequence, but given the climate would seem to be more likely deliberate.

Your bill will do absolutely nothing to decrease “Gun Violence”, just as the other 20,000 gun laws on the books across the country do nothing to prevent criminals from preying upon the innocent. We need crime control, not gun, or ammunition, control. My major contention with legislators that craft bills such as yours, is that they know little to nothing about the subject they are legislating and as a result we get flawed bills that only further oppress the law abiding, while having no effect on the criminal element. Show me some empirical data that supports your position – not emotional hyperbole or supposition, our laws are rife with that now.

I respectfully request that you withdraw your bill from consideration.

Sincerely,

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Wait, Pizzabob, is that something YOU sent her, or for me to reply to her letter?

Pizza Bob,

You are much more eloquent than I am.

My draft letter started with

Dear Senator,

Why don't you learn about existing NJ laws before drafting more useless crap like you have proposed.

It only went downhill from there so I started over.

f. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the transfer of ammunition for use in a lawfully transferred firearm in accordance with the provisions of section 1 of P.L.1992, c.74 (C.2C:58-3.1), section 1 of P.L.1997, c

How do others read this section?

Since all of my guns were legally transferred to me, none of this "law" applies?

Wait, Pizzabob, is that something YOU sent her, or for me to reply to her letter?

Sorry to steal your thunder, but she does represent my district, so I sent it to her last night.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I sent it to her last night.

Awesome. I've grown so weary of trying to educate people about the facts-especially when it comes to existing laws. I prefer not to use the term "stupid", and consistently use the term "willfully ignorant"--because I'm not implying that they're dumb (even though they may be) they simply CHOOSE not to educate themselves on the subject matter that they're so passionately against.