Sign in to follow this  
twong11219

Thoughts on ATC AR-Gold Trigger

Didn't want to jack the Geissele trigger post so here goes it. Anyone have any experience or feedback about the AR-Gold trigger?

The specs look very promising, and the price tag is comparable to the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match which was the other one I'm considering. What I liked about the AR-Gold was that the parts are machined from barstock where as the Geissele looks like it's from casting or forging. What also interested me on the AR-Gold is that it's sear and hammer engagement is completely different from many AR FCGs.

For some background, this trigger is going to be implanted in a White Oak Match Rifle I'm building. This build is going to include a match grade 26" stainless barrel, rifle length gas system, rifle length buffer assembly and some type of scope I have yet to decide on. It's only task it punching clover leaves in paper far far away.

Can't afford to buy twice so any info much appreciated.

Darn, no one's got one? I guess I have to be the guinea pig......

I looked into them a few years ago and couldn't really find much info or reviews other than on their own web sight. For me, I want to hear what people here have to say about them, people on arfcom, etc. or better yet, try one myself. Even now a few years later, not much info out there. I would go with a proven product, like Geissele.

You're probably right. I've been looking at the Hi-Speed Match for some time. The flat face trigger won't be an option as it only has a fixed pull weight. For the price of an HSM, it opens up a lot of doors to other brands. Maybe Miculek liked the AR-Gold for it's short reset and ability to keep up with his insane trigger finger, or maybe just sponsorship.

Upon weighing the benefits of both, I think ultimately the HSM is the most fitting. I'm building a precision match rifle so I don't need the short reset that the AR-Gold offers. I don't intend to 3G with a 26" barrel. The HSM offers an adjustable pull that the Gold does not. I ultimately need a light trigger with a crisp break.

Thanks for your input.

You're probably right. I've been looking at the Hi-Speed Match for some time. The flat face trigger won't be an option as it only has a fixed pull weight. For the price of an HSM, it opens up a lot of doors to other brands. Maybe Miculek liked the AR-Gold for it's short reset and ability to keep up with his insane trigger finger, or maybe just sponsorship.

Upon weighing the benefits of both, I think ultimately the HSM is the most fitting. I'm building a precision match rifle so I don't need the short reset that the AR-Gold offers. I don't intend to 3G with a 26" barrel. The HSM offers an adjustable pull that the Gold does not. I ultimately need a light trigger with a crisp break.

Thanks for your input.

curious... why an adjustable trigger in an AR? I mean the notion of adjusting ability is appealing.. but the pre made setups they offer are extremely smooth and nice to operate..

For me, it allows me to tinker with how I would like the trigger to feel. Would I like a light 1st-stage or heavy? Same for the 2nd stage. Will i like it if I set everything light or do I want to feel the engagement on the second stage? I just don't know so this model covers both sides of the coin without the need to buy again. Buying once is cheaper than buying twice and less headache of needing to unload the one I don't want at the end. I have tried my friend's S3G, and it was worlds apart from my 2-stage KAC. His trigger was effortless to pull. Felt like the sear to hammer engagement was rolling on bearings. I can stay on target and just ease the trigger in till it breaks. One smooth consistent pull. The KAC trigger just crashes in a wall on the 2nd-stage. Then it's a matter of staying on target while squeezing more and more waiting for the break.

Precision shooting is kind of a Zen thing for me. I need to control my breathing, time my breaks after exhaling and during the time when my body is at rest. It's only a small window of time to break the shot. I don't want to throw my aim off fighting the trigger in that moment thus the HSM offers what I think is ideal. If I don't like it so light, I can bring it up without switching up parts.

If I was 3G'ing, I wouldn't choose the light trigger pull until I get more accustomed to the dynamics of running and engaging. There is just so much stuff happening all at once that I don't want to risk injuring anyone from an AD due to an accidental touch of the trigger. Since this build is going to be a very controlled slow shooting bench rifle, I can go lighter.

cool.. I shoot steel at 300 yards with a 14.5in AR with a AImpoint and a 3x magnifier.. I use that gieselle and there is honestly not a thing I would change about it... for me the lack of adjustment creates less points of failure... I pull the trigger till it hits the second stage.. hold.. then shoot.. I then use that SAME gun sans magnifier for run and gun shooting..

but I guess thats why they make a million different triggers so you can get the right one for you.. good luck with it.. let us know how it goes..

I've handled the AR gold. It feels like a well prepped 1911 trigger. A little bit of take up, a glass rod break (I'd estimate 2.5lbs- something less than 3lbs based on my triggers on everything at home and having measured them with a trigger pull scale), and a teensy bit of overtravel with a firm stop.

If I wanted a drop in kit for an AR built for shooting small groups form the bench, it is the one I would go with. It is not my preference for a run and gun setup.

If Miculek is still running it, it is probably because the way it is set up penalizes him the least for the way he trains for revolver. There is a LOT less travel form hitting the full stop and being completley reset than a lot of triggers.

That's kinda what drew my attention on the AR-Gold. It mimics the pull which I like a lot on a 1911. Short pull, short reset, crisp break. Not sure how that translates to a rifle. The info on their website looks very promising. Just not much in feedback out in the field. Geissele seems to dominate in that area.

Just saw on their website that there's a 30day trial period. Maybe I will give them a try. AHHHH! Decisions, decisions. I guess, either one I choose, both are high-end FCGs and can't really go wrong with either approach.

Thanks for propping me up on the fence again. LOL!!! I still have plenty of time since my upper won't be ready till early May. :(