Sign in to follow this  
johnott

Anyone know the name of this handgun technique?

A couple months back I came across an article on the Internet about a new style/technique of holding a handgun. From what I remember, you stand at an angle to your target, weak-side forward. Then strong-side arm straight and supported with bent weak-side arm. At his point you sight the target with your non-dominate eye. So that a right-handed person uses his left eye. The position of the body relative to the arms along with using the weak-side eye was supposed to improve stability which in turn improves accuracy especially for follow-up shots. This technique had a name, does anyone know it?

Is that C.A.R.?

Yes. That's the one. Thank you.

C.A.R. - Center Axis Relock. I was talking to an instructor friend of my at the range two weeks ago and we were discussing different stances and techniques and I just couldn't remember the name of this one. I personally can't use this stance unless I go to my weak-side. I am right-handed and have no vision in my left eye so this just doesn't work for me, but I thought it was very interesting. Thanks for jogging my memory.

*Sorry my OP was a little off on the technique as neither arm is locked or straight. But you figured it out regardless. I wonder if I can adapt this technique using my right hand/right eye with any success? Oh well whatever works. :)

Edited by johnott

Doing some quick research It appears that this technique has some advantages; it's pretty effective while being seated or in extremely close quarters and is good for retention purposes, but at targets over 10-15 feet away it begins to suffer in accuracy. I guess it just depends on the situation your in as to whether it would be useful.

Doing some quick research It appears that this technique has some advantages; it's pretty effective while being seated or in extremely close quarters and is good for retention purposes, but at targets over 10-15 feet away it begins to suffer in accuracy. I guess it just depends on the situation your in as to whether it would be useful.

and judging by the video I just watched.. if you wear body armor it is an awful method as it totally opens up your underarm area and points that unprotected area directly towards your enemy..

It doesn't answer your question, but that sounds kinda how I shoot since I am right handed but left eye dominant.

Me too. I call it left eye dominate but right handed stance. :) Seriously, all that can be said about hanguns has already been invented. What we see now are instructors modifying things so that they have something different to sell the public as an improvement. I learned tactics and how to shoot over 40 years ago and I can still shoot any gun better than most people I know. Primarily because 99% of gun owners never take a formal lesson in their lives. :)