BOOMSTICK

TSA to allow small pocketknives back on airplanes

I'm surprised some people find this a step backward. If you're against this then why are you for CCW laws?

How can one be for carrying a gun anywhere, but not a knife (and a small one at that) on a plane? Personally

I like the new regulation cause I forget my Spyderco bug on my keychain all the time and would hate for that to

be taken.

What idiot came up with the measuring system the US uses? Which other countries use the same system?

Uhh that would be The English - but you knew that, and the answer at this point is no one else. We're a stubborn bunch that's resistant to change. Try to make us more European by making us use the metric system - yeah that got really old in the 70's when it was pushed by Jimmy C.

As to using metric at all, US standard is inches

Actually that's not correct. All government documents (ie drawings) must be dimensioned in both IP (Inch-Pound) and SI (System International) units. Common use however is entirely IP units. In my experience the only people that know SI units are in some type of scientific field (chemists, engineers, or importers of foreign equipment).

Uhh that would be The English - but you knew that, and the answer at this point is no one else. We're a stubborn bunch that's resistant to change. Try to make us more European by making us use the metric system - yeah that got really old in the 70's when it was pushed by Jimmy C.

Actually that's not correct. All government documents (ie drawings) must be dimensioned in both IP (Inch-Pound) and SI (System International) units. Common use however is entirely IP units. In my experience the only people that know SI units are in some type of scientific field (chemists, engineers, or importers of foreign equipment).

I'm a lot better with length and weight now compared to when I started my job.. but temperature still has me confused.. maybe another 5 years...

I have never understood this. I think the U.S. is the only country that still uses the BRITISH Thermal Unit! I learned the metric system in elementary school (early 70s for me) and I was told that I had better learn it because, by the time I am an adult, metric will be the system everyone will use. So I still use it, and most people look at me like I am crazy when I use an SI unit--even fellow engineers! And I find it much easier to work with for any type of chem, physics or engineering problems.

However, I do use the micro-fortnight quite a bit--in SI units it works out to about 1.2 S so it is still a pretty convenient unit for time.

As for the knives, I think the whole ruling is stupid. It basically allows only toy knives. And as has been stated--due to physical cockpit security and fundamentally changed mindset with regard to hijackers--there is virtually no chance of success, starting with flight 93. Once the passengers understood the motives, the bad guys were thwarted.