BOOMSTICK

TSA to allow small pocketknives back on airplanes

I say the person/persons who approved this ought to be fired. What a retarded stance. If you can hijack a plane with a box cutter, then why not use a knife? The first thing we need to do is send a letter to Al Gezeera informing them that knives are ok now. Idiots!

I've carried a Gerber 05898 ridge folding knife in my carry on for perhaps 10 years and it's only been detected once....so you can just image what else gets on board.

Much todo about nothing IMO.

I've carried a Gerber 05898 ridge folding knife in my carry on for perhaps 10 years and it's only been detected once....so you can just image what else gets on board.

Much todo about nothing IMO.

The first and only time I carried my Leatherman ST200 on my carry on they found it. At Newark no less. Thankfully I wasn't sent off to Gitmo and just allowed to check the bag.

The first and only time I carried my Leatherman ST200 on my carry on they found it. At Newark no less. Thankfully I wasn't sent off to Gitmo and just allowed to check the bag.

I think you were more lucky that your name was not added to the No fly or Terrorist watch list.

The Gerber is a small skeleton folder but with a wicked sharp partially serrated blade that I keep in a small first aid and personal toiletry kit I always travel with.It was only detected once in Singapore and the agent allowed me to mail it home so it's still traveling with me today.

In business class they give you real butter knives. If you really want to hijack a plane with a knife, go in the bathroom with that and a stone and you have a shank in five minutes.

This is a move back to sanity IMO. I wonder if lock backs are ok. If so, I won't have to remove my Spyderco Manbug from my keychain anymore

Planes are hijack proof now due to two changes. 1) The cockpit doors are reinforced and would be very difficult to break through. 2) Passengers know that any hijacker is likely to kill them so they aren't going to just sit there. As a result, most of what TSA does is just for show.

BTW: Before you respond, you should know that I was inside the World Trade Center when it was struck on 9/11/01.

Planes are hijack proof now due to two changes. 1) The cockpit doors are reinforced and would be very difficult to break through. 2) Passengers know that any hijacker is likely to kill them so they aren't going to just sit there. As a result, most of what TSA does is just for show.

BTW: Before you respond, you should know that I was inside the World Trade Center when it was struck on 9/11/01.

I quite agree....those who wish to terrorize us have already won,we live in constant fear,spending massive amounts of resources on what amounts to feel good but largely ineffective procedures and it's time to get back to perhaps a new normal....still vigilant but not so scared. Damn it all!!!.... make that a double Stewardess.

I heard a rep for one of the flight attendants unions on TV last night talking about how they were going to fight this tooth and nail, they wouldn't stand for it, blah blah blah. People just can't see the forest for the trees . As if there aren't a thousand items that could be used to hurt a flight attendant regardless of whether a 2.5" knife is on board.

How short are the memories of the terrorist? I'm not much of a bad ass, personally. But if someone tries to take my plane with a Swiss Army knife, I and my fellow washed up economy fliers are stomping him a new f'ing mud hole.

Will they remember that?

Run, hide, fight. In the air, you can't do the first two.

I heard a rep for one of the flight attendants unions on TV last night talking about how they were going to fight this tooth and nail, they wouldn't stand for it, blah blah blah. People just can't see the forest for the trees . As if there aren't a thousand items that could be used to hurt a flight attendant regardless of whether a 2.5" knife is on board.

I think teeth and nails are still banned though.

I just wish they would allow me to clip my nails in the plane. Nothing finer.

I love how they quote a guy saying this is "common sense."

Common sense is now being used like "bad" was in the nineties (the opposite).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screen+shot+2013-03-05+at+2.57.07+PM.jpg

What kind of an f'ing idiot comes up with 2.36" as a limit? Not 2.25" not 2.5", but 6 cms. Then to prove what kind of an idiot they are the blade width is limited at .5 inches.

Pick a unit of measure (preferably the one that we use in the US) and stick with it.

And for all the clamor about having a knife on a plane, how did we possibly survive almost 60 years with them as carry on luggage?

What kind of an f'ing idiot comes up with 2.36" as a limit? Not 2.25" not 2.5", but 6 cms. Then to prove what kind of an idiot they are the blade width is limited at .5 inches.

Pick a unit of measure (preferably the one that we use in the US) and stick with it.

Maybe because 6 cms is the standard for the rest of the planet...and they are making it the same. Not all flights are domestic, and actually having a standardized set of rules makes sense. What idiot came up with the measuring system the US uses? Which other countries use the same system?

The same idiot that came up with 100mL limit for liquid carry on but then converted it to 3oz instead of 3.4oz just to confuse everyone.

Gentlemen....least I state what should be obvious to all. The measurements and quantities are in metric to comply and be recognized by the rest of the world. We are the idiots lagging behind.

Gentlemen....least I state what should be obvious to all. The measurements and quantities are in metric to comply and be recognized by the rest of the world. We are the idiots lagging behind.

Really? So why did they use metric and standard?

6 cm by 1 cm fine. 6cm by. 5 inch, dumb as all hell.

As to using metric at all, US standard is inches

TSA is a US agency that deals with primarily US residents.

Really? So why did they use metric and standard?

6 cm by 1 cm fine. 6cm by. 5 inch, dumb as all hell.

As to using metric at all, US standard is inches

TSA is a US agency that deals with primarily US residents.

"So why did they use metric and standard"? To notify those of us who wouldn't know a centimeter if it bit us on the ass and conversely.... the rest of the world.

"6 cm by 1cm fine. 6cm by.5 inch,dumb as hell" Agreed but this is the TSA we're talking about.

"As to using metric at all,US standard is inches" Again......the rest of the world is why.

"TSA is a US agency that deals with primarily US residents" But how many visitors are processed through our airports every year, as much as it may pain you we are no longer the center of the universe and increasingly find ourselves playing catch up with the rest of the world....Not embracing the Metric system is just one small example.