jm1827

Recommend a good gun for the kids

What? No love for the Ruger 10/22? :)

If the gun, itself, isn't too big, I would check out a Ruger 10/22, and you can get a 1-round magazine for it.  Then it would be a nice gun to gradually move up to in semi-auto. 

10_22-BX-1-1-One-Round-Magazine-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

If the gun, itself, isn't too big, I would check out a Ruger 10/22, and you can get a 1-round magazine for it.  Then it would be a nice gun to gradually move up to in semi-auto. 

10_22-BX-1-1-One-Round-Magazine-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

I will be looking for a 10/22 in the not too distant future, more for me and the wife than the kids though.

as other have said, get them a single shot 22. i personally would not put any glass on it until they can get 5 shot groups under a quarter at around 15-20 yards. once they learn to shoot with iron sites everything else will come easier. then if they ever need to make a shot without a scope they wont hesitate.  i grew up shooting iron sites and still im better than most of my friends out to 100 yards when they have scopes. plus, nothing is more satisfying than an old timer complimenting you on hitting the clay birds on the back stop at 100 yards before your friend does with his scope.