Sign in to follow this  
302w

Help me legalize my retro AR/a few build questions.

I currently have a USGI M16A1 Upper, barrel, and furniture with a commercial lower and LPK. I have a few uhm.... eithical decisions...

1. The front sight has a bayonet lug. I am NOT installing it on my upper and I have made sure to follow NJ's laws and not have constructive intent. Thing is, my barrel and front sight are original Colt USGI and I don't know if I want to cut off the bayonet lug. It survived since the 60's and I don't want to neuter it for the PRNJ. I'd rather swap it for a common one and cut that. At the same time, it seems as if the only front sight bases that will fit are only USGI since this doesn't use a standard A2 profile. Also... its a lot easier to cut it off than to replace it... MAYBE if I carefully cut it, I can have it rewelded one day.

2. Flash hider. It has a three prong, and I am deciding between welding a washer over the end and having a .25 hole, effectively creating a muzzlebreak. I also don't want to screw with the communist state and I'd rather buy a branson brake and know I'm legal.

Also, any reccomendations on wrenches? Cheaper=better. So far I'm looking at $25 shipped on ebay.

Any reason why more people don't have the little locking tabs/lugs taken off? I can see some issues with it, but at the same time it is no longer a bayo lug.

BMW, keep me posted.

Any thoughts on my washer plan? I like the look of the three prong but a manufactured one seems "safer". After all, "the gun owner acts at his own peril" here.

The place I have my uppers done at gives you the option to have the ears shaved off or to have the whole lug removed.I prefer having the ear shaved off. Welding a washer over the end could cause the ears to pull in and mess up the shape of the item. If you really want the real retro look I would go with the Nodak Spud XM16E1 receiver.