Sign in to follow this  
BlackOps Badger

A new love affair.

My Dad has an old Thompson Center flintlock rifle that I haven't shot in at least 13 years. I've been itching for awhile now to shoot it, but never took it out. Two days ago I finally shot it, and I absolutely fell in love with it. Blackpowder has never been too much of an interest of mine, but now I'm gung ho. I want to get myself a musket, and a rifle. I was thinking something like what the Continental Army used during the revolution. From what I'm reading we used the 1777 Charleville pretty extensively. Is this correct? Any ideas where to get a nice reproduction without spending an arm and a leg? I found a few places online like Military Heritage, and Veteran Arms. Also want to get a Hawkins rifle at some point but that's far off. Also, any help with websites to get started with for ordering supplies like balls, lead, molds, etc.? This is definitely something I would like to get involved with a lot. I definitely wanna mess around with making my own paper cartridges, which doesn't seem difficult at all. I'm very intrigued by all of this. Especially because it almost seems like shooting these guns is like an art form. I'm so used to shooting guns that go bang as soon as you pull the trigger. It was really fun shooting something that has a delay to it. And I have a short video of me shooting my Dad's rifle.

Hey bud, Good video. Sorry I didn't comment sooner. As far as a Revolutionary war era reproduction, I would check gunbroker, Dixie gun works, or Dixions. Now Hawkins rifle are real easy to find. You can find them on the trader here or local or gunbroker or I know dixions has new and used one's. Now for supplies, It depends on what I need. I like to drive out to dixions for most of my supplies. They're right in Pa by kutztown. Only a little over a hours drive for me. They are a blackpowder candy store lol. Their have been a few things I have ordered online. I do that mostly from track of the wolf or from dixie gun works. I have gone to cabelas a time or two to get little stuff such as caps or solvents. Lead you can get from bunches of places. From tire change shops(wheel weights), to scrap yards, or online. I Buy mine on ebay. Cheap, shipped to the door and hasn't been too hard yet. Patches you can by pre-lubed from a supply shop. I by my patches from Joann's fabric shop, cut it and lube it myself. Muzzleloaders and muzzleloader shooting can be very addicting. Especially if you get into pistol shooting too. I don't know how far you are but if you wanted, come to a match at OBRPC and there are plenty of guys who will show you the ropes and let you shoot some different guns. Any questions please ask.

In addition to what Rob has written, you may also want to get a hold of a National Muzzleloading Rifle Association (NMLRA) Field Representative in your area. That person will have loads of info on where to shoot in a group as well as other advice. Just go to their web site: www.nmlra.org and click on NJ Field Reps!

Welcome to the hobby! And make sure you clean that flinter real good so it doesn't rust! Any questions--just ask!

Enjoy!

Dave