Frank Rizzo

Shooting my Mosin.. 1st Impressions

Shot my mosin again last night, this time I used the buttpad and shoulder pad, zero pain from recoil. :) Shot 60 rounds like it was nothing. One thing I noticed.. the barell gets HOT after this many rounds in a short timeframe. The hand guard was bleeding cosmoline like crazy and at one point too hot to touch with bare hands. Cheap fun... luv it.

I collect Tikkas and the early ones were stamped with A, B, or C which is the bore diameter. Your barrel was made after they stopped stamping them. It doesn't have the "d" stamp which means the throat wasn't opened up to handle the "D166" cartridge which is the common Russian surplus round. I honestly would not shoot standard surplus ammo out of it. Although it shouldnt do any damage, it will put a lot of wear on the throat of the rifling which is the heart of accuracy on a barrel. If it were mine, it would be handloads only with more than likely a .308 bullet. All my tikkas slug out to .308

How does one go about reloading for this? Do you have to buy new boxer primed brass? Where can you get it? I saw a video showing how to use copper tubing to bush the berdan primer pocket, but that looked like a huge PITA. I'm not going through that much work for a novelty.

Also....this is awesome.

Here are the exact pads I used. Plenty options out there, these are just two of them. I shot the rifle with just the buttpad, still a little much recoil for me. Added the shoulder pad and it was perfect. Only drawback was that I couldn't get the rifle as close into me as I would like, but the absence of recoil was well worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Shooterpads-Recoil-Gel-Filled-Pads/dp/B00081Q7E4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367503131&sr=8-5&keywords=mosin+buttpad

http://www.amazon.com/Past-350010-Field-Shield/dp/B0009TRNRK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367503179&sr=8-2&keywords=field+shoulder+pad

Thanks Frank.

Usnmars.....I picked up two boxes of these yesterday at the LGS. Should be GTG, right? I'm not planning on shooting this a bunch right away....If this think kicks like I'm hearing...I'll probably stop after a few rounds anyway, at least until I get some sort of recoil pad.

54rRus_1c.jpg

Regarding slugging the barrel....I've never done it before. My dad said I could just get some lead sinkers and use a wooden dowel rod, right?

Last night blew another 60 rnds through my 1932 Ishevsk.  Way more comfortable now with it, didnt use the shoulder pad, just the buttpad.  Was at the range with my one brother shooting, my other brother stopped by to check the range out, seen us shooting the mosin and he just HAD to fire the thing.  ;)   Yeah..  mosins are way too much fun and addictive.  YEE HAH! 

Fired mine for the first time last night at Range-14..............fun fun fun! Turned out the guy next to me was shooting the exact same Mosin.........1942 Izhevsk. Before I even shot it I put a rubber butt pad on it based on what Ive read. A mere 30 rounds later and my shoulder is a bit sore today...........ok maybe a little more then a bit. Ill have to try adding a towel to the mix or someone suggested drilling out the holes of the pad to make it more "springy". At 50 yards and with my abysmal shooting ability, Id say 28 shots actually hit the paper! hehe, makes me happy right now.

At about round 20, once everything got good and hot, I had to give the bolt a smack to get it open all the way. Closing it was no problem however. Im gonna guess I didnt get all the cosmo off as well as I thought and Ill have to go over it again. Maybe this time Ill hit it with a heat gun inside the receiver. 

Took it home, sprayed windex down and out the barrel a few times and on the bolt head, then followed it with some Hoppe's #9 and a quick spray of Hoppe's gun oil. Thats seems to be about the standard after shooting the corrosive stuff. Im hoping to get out there on Wednesday nights from now on. 

COUGHwimpsCOUGH.

Those boys in the war didn't have no rubber pads!

;)

Congrats though! I don't know what it is....but they are indeed fun as hell to shoot.

Completely admit I'm being antagonistic here but yeah. I shot his Mosin it was my first time ever handling one. Zero pain on recoil yeesh

I shot it on Wednesday it was pretty great. It's adjustable from 1-4lbs I have it set at a factory 3. The safety is such an improvement over the stock one. Pulling a normal mosin trigger is like pulling teeth you never know when it's going to pop off. This thing breaks so cleanly. Now installing it.... That was a bitch

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner