Larry1851

Mosin Nagant - Hex or round receiver?

Surprisingly, I do not yet have a Mosin and am now in the market for one (may throw up a WTB here later).  I know there's a difference in price.  Is there a functional difference? Or is it strictly a collector's premium in price cause it's an older production?  I did a search here but just too much came up for me to sort through.  Thanks guys.

Ok thanks, guys.  That's what I thought.  I just want one to well...want one. lol  In some ads I see a $75-100 dollar difference for the hex.  Thought maybe it shot better.  Like some have said, the Finns are the way to go for accuracy.  Me?  My old eyes just want to have a little fun and make the thing go boom.

Hex receiver mosins were made up until '36 when the Soviets were forced to enter the war. In order to cut down on production costs, time and materials they switched to a round receiver. Because of this up-tick in production tempo, the finish took a bit of a hit but over all there isn't that much of a noticeable difference. 

If price is a concern, go round. If you want a cool piece, get a hex. If you want an even cooler piece, hunt down a Remington, Winchester, or New England Westinghouse production rifle.