This, as BigDaddyHoffman 1911 (on YouTube) would say, "is what I'm talkin' about":

Illinois and the District of Columbia are No-Issue jurisdictions by law, and forbid both open and concealed carry except under a very limited set of circumstances. In practice, the situation for concealed carry in Illinois is less clear, as a growing number of rural counties in Illinois are refusing to enforce the statewide ban on firearms carry, thereby creating de-facto Unrestricted counties alongside local jurisdictions that enforce the state's ban on concealed carry.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry_in_the_United_States

I learned just last night that it is relatively easy to obtain a concealed carry permit in upstate NY. Some counties are easier than others. There's something called "restrictive" carry which allows you to carry -- openly, I believe -- while hunting and fishing. However, it seems that with a bit of effort you can get this changed to full (concealed) carry. Some counties will pretty much give anyone a CC as long as they pass the required checks.

I was unaware that NY was so lenient in this regard. 

My knowledge of NY state law is pretty limited, coming only from discussions with a co-worker who has a NY CCW.  My understanding is that the only way you can own a handgun in NY is to get a permit - so everyone in NY with a handgun technically has a permit.  The difference is that almost all of these "permits" have restrictions: premises only, target/hunting, etc.  I could be really wrong on this, but I don't think so.  So yes, it's "easy" to get a permit, but in most cases you still can't "carry" as most people understand the term.

My knowledge of NY state law is pretty limited, coming only from discussions with a co-worker who has a NY CCW.  My understanding is that the only way you can own a handgun in NY is to get a permit - so everyone in NY with a handgun technically has a permit.  The difference is that almost all of these "permits" have restrictions: premises only, target/hunting, etc.  I could be really wrong on this, but I don't think so.  So yes, it's "easy" to get a permit, but in most cases you still can't "carry" as most people understand the term.

That's correct but there's another wrinkle. Local discretion. The local judges issue the permits and many issue unrestricted carry after you've had a restricted carry after a certain period of time. In NYC it's the NYPD and they are under a different set of rules. 

The only things that will reform CCW/possession are a massive upheaval legislatively, meaning even the big cities flip. Not gonna happen. OR a court order like Illinois or SCOTUS ruling on it. Probably not going to happen either but more likely than the former.