Fallout

New rifle suggestions?

Well, I'm looking to build a new rifle, and I'm just asking for opinions/suggestions. It will be a .308, and I've narrowed it down to either an AR-10, or an M1A.

I love M1As to begin with, always loved the Sage Mod 0 chassis for it. But, also love the AR-10 platform as well.

It will be used for precision shooting/close range if need be, which both are good for. 

I will be modding a couple things on the gun regardless of which I choose to go with.

The M1A for a standard is ~$1500, plus the $700 Sage chassis.

The AR-10 would no doubt save me money at around $1600 plus ~$250 for the stock I like.

These don't include prices with other things such as bipods, forgrip, grip, magazines, etc.

Now I'm sure you know what they both look like, but here's a couple pics of what they look like standard, to what I'd mod mine to be like.

AR-10

10a4bfmedium350.jpg

after some modding it'd be like this:

5596340472_9bea4b10ce.jpg

DSC_41272.jpg

DSC_41142.jpg

M1A

Springfield%20M1A%20.308%20-%20$1329.jpg

after the Sage Mod 0

mark14-mod0-enhanced-battle-rifle.jpg

2012-08-27184135.jpg

epezent.jpg

Weird looking, I know. I've grown to love it though.

Anyway, like I said, I was just looking for some opinions and thoughts of yours

If you'd like to help contribute to my project and are looking for a new toy, check out my for sale thread here:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/889-remington-700-sps-tactical/

If you plan on using optics and making a true precision rifle, the inherent accuracy of the AR platform wins. If you are looking for an accurate and durable battle rifle, go with the M14 platform. LRB Arms of Long Island makes a great M14 receiver with integral scope mount.

Yeah, I mean I always loved the M1a as it derived from the basically perfect Garand, and I always wanted to build the Mod 0 version, but the AR is cheaper, and I hear almost nothing but good things about the AR10s. Thanks for your input  :drinks:

That Sage chassis works well, but to me it looks like hammered shitt. Everything about it feels like an afterthought retrofit, which it is. But I suppose it's like a Glock, and beauty can be found in its durability and shootability.

The sage looks great but I'm not sure after it's been NJ neutered how much you will still like it.  It's a semi auto rifle with a pistol grip which means that stock needs to be pinned as well as a non-flash hiding muzzle device.  

No different for the AR10 but I guess when it comes to ARs I've accepted my fate.  

I think you can't go wrong with either one.  I have a Maten that I built myself.  I still want a M1a though.

The M1a with the Sage chassis will draw more interest from other people.  As Robo said, I'm not sure how it would be after it gets neutered though.  Adding a brake is not a problem as those are easily available but I'm more worried about the stock as the collapsible stock looks pretty slick.

I think you can't go wrong with either one.  I have a Maten that I built myself.  I still want a M1a though.

The M1a with the Sage chassis will draw more interest from other people.  As Robo said, I'm not sure how it would be after it gets neutered though.  Adding a brake is not a problem as those are easily available but I'm more worried about the stock as the collapsible stock looks pretty slick.

I was thinking about building a MATEN once I find the lower/upper/hand guard in stock. How do you like it?

I was thinking about building a MATEN once I find the lower/upper/hand guard in stock. How do you like it?

The fit is very nice between the upper and lower.  A set screw can tighten things up although you have to remove the grip to do so.  No complaints.  I got the vanilla one without the ambi stuff.  It was not that big of a deal though.  The folks at Mega Arms are great to deal with.  I was hunting for one in January this year and could not find one.  I contacted Mega Arms and they directed me to the next dealer they were shipping to and I got one very quickly.  They also told me that if there was any dealer price gouging, I should let them know as they had a strict policy on that.

The new MKM is a great option as you can get the keymods.  Hunting for a good 308 handguard is a bit tough as the selection is limited and you need to know what style to get.  There are two different heights for the DPMS style handguards so you really need to do your research.