EWC88

Question regarding spectra shield

If anyone knows anything about spectra shield I have a question for you! I've seen that this is what they use for bull riders vest to help protect them from horns piercing into them and what not. If that is the case is this then flexible? Kinda like a little but stiffer then fabric? Curious because for my one class I need to come up with a product and I thought of something really good if this stuff is somewhat flexible.

Spectra shield is like Kevlar on steroids , I have used some forms of it in my body armor prototypes its tensile strength and especially puncture resistance is superior to Kevlar. Some companies have come up with some very good laminating methods and made level III armor extremely light, resistant to all types of weather and sweat and also the armor floats in water. The laminated form impregnated with a type of resin is what is probably used in the bull riding vests. The fabric untreated I could best describe it malleability to be that of like a nylon duffle bag it feels like a course fabric.

No spectra shield is the proprietary name for the composite fiber itself. The fiber is made from a type of ultra high molecular weight polyethylene. There are a bunch of different products made from UHMWP in general, some types of cutting boards are made of it. However the specific formula for spectra shield always comes in a fiber form. 

Its usually bought by consumers or manufacturers in cloth or rope form, some companies take the fibers raw and weave them into what they want. In your case your going to be buying the cloth and it will feel like nylon fabric. If you want to harden it into a shape or make a board/plate out of it you will have to laminate it with resin.

All I'm familiar with is the cord.  It could be tied in a knot but not all knots would hold because it was not quite as flexible as cotton or nylon rope but it was close.  It almost had the feeling of a wire running through the cord sort of like a pipe cleaner.