AlDente67

Mercer County Park festivals coming up

For anyone interested, the Irish Festival is happening this weekend (Sept 7/8), and the Italian Fest is going on at the end of Sept (not sure which dates, but should be easy to look up).

I've never seen the Irish fest before, so looking forward to see what is what there, but have been going to the Italian fest for years.  Great selection of food, rides for the kids, beer and wine for the older kids.  Our favorite is the fresh-made Mozzarella and sausage from the vendor under the tent (the name escapes me, but they are based in North Jersey somewhere)

Free parking, small admission fee (a couple bucks per head).

Good point, I forgot about that.  Bridgework was supposed to be done in a few weeks, not months.  I guess it was worse than initially thought.

You will be lucky if that bridge is open by next year.  Better just plan on driving around it.

Ken

CMJeepster,

Don't be an old fuddy duddy, you're like 10 minutes away. You can avoid the crowds by going  a little earlier on Friday or Saturday. My wife and I usually go to people watch and get something to eat, and we always run into people we know.  Even though the food is decent, you're absolutely right about getting a better sausage, onions and peppers sandwich locally. Maybe let me know when you're planning to go.

Aldente and Ken, 

Coming from Hamilton I don't have to deal with the bridge. It doesn't look anywhere near done.

So we went mid-afternoon today, and the crowd was parse compared to the Italian fest.. 50-50 was up to a grand total of $1000, as compared to up to $45k at the I fest in past years.

Good Irish bands on the grandstand.  Most of the usual food trucks, with a couple of actual Irish options.  Since I'm not willing to try Haggis just yet, I went with the safe Cheese steak.  I guess they were looking to get rid of the cooked steak-ums because mine was dry and bland.

One of these decades, I'll find a cheese steak like Tony Goes used to serve back in the 80's and 90's...a real ribeye, thin cut, with sliced cheese, fried peppers, potatoes, and onions.  Impossible to find anywhere.  All these guys think the crap from Geno's is how you do it right and they murder the cheapo steak-um mystery meat.  And then charge $8 for it.

I should open my own joint.