Sign in to follow this  
Recon Racoon

Picked up a Gerber Outrigger yesterday

I needed a new knife to replace my paraframe 1, since I've abused it for the three years I've had it (blade won't hold an edge any more, pocket clip was bent out of shape, it was loose etc) so I picked up a new Gerber. This time the Outrigger. Its fairly small, which is what I want for an 'at work' knife, its light which is a big plus in my book. 

post-2528-0-05207700-1378657012_thumb.jpg

Overall length when closed is about 3.5 inches. And the pocket clip is super tight so you don't have to worry about it falling out of your pocket (this was a constant worry of mine with the paraframe). Although my one gripe about the handle, is the rubber material they used. It binds up in the pocket making it really hard to slide in, or pull out for quick deployment. But if you're only using it a couple times a day, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. 

post-2528-0-15433800-1378657268_thumb.jpg

Length when open is about 7 inches. It is a spring assisted opening, but the spring is so tight you really have to force it open. Its a pro and a con at the same time. Pro because you know its secure and won't open on you by accident, and a con because it'll wear your thumb out if you have to keep pulling it out. A point of concern with me, is the way you unlock the blade to close it. Instead of your normal liner lock system, its a button. While its nice to not have to worry about the liner lock, the spring under the button may wear out after a while, and make it unsafe. But I don't know if thats an issue or not, since I've only had it a day. 

post-2528-0-09300400-1378657539_thumb.jpg

The blade its self is fairly nice. Made out of CrMv variant, it should hold a wicked edge, and keep it for a while. Should also be stain and rust resistant too. 

Overall I'm pleased with it. For $40.00, I'm sure there are better options out there (Kershaw, which I looked at), but right now I think I made the right choice to replace my Paraframe.