Heavyopp

Anyone have deer success at Clinton WMA

Just got back from a walk in the woods at clinton WMA -- Lots of deer sign

Gonna spend youth shotgun day there with my son in the hopes of getting a shot at a deer

The problem is Youth shotgun is also the 3rd weekend of small game -- the place gets crowded

Last year we saw 6 deer -- all full out running -- never got a shot

I know what area I want to be -- near the rimfire range 

Is it legal to put a tree stand up?  Anyone have a tree stand stolen from there?

Any thoughts?

I've never hunted Clinton for deer, but I know they are there. Portable tree stands are legal, but I would not leave them in the woods. They'll grow legs and disappear or worse, be damaged by unscrupulous types.

You could use the small game hunters to your advantage. Get as deep in the woods as possible very early before shooting light and let the small game hunter movements push deer towards you. Most small game hunters are gone by noon, and things settle down later in the day and deer movements often return to normal. Hunt as late into the day as you can. Good luck!

From what a I remember, hang-on stands are not allowed at the WMA's. They'll either get cut down by the rangers/game wardens or stolen by other hunters who have no morals. Using a climber is your best bet on public land, or hunting off the ground.

we're all set for tomorrow --  deep in the poo hoping that the bird hunters and their dogs push them to us

Plan on getting in really early, stay till 10 or 11 then come back for the afternoon till sunset if needed

I did hang a stand -- I fully expect it to be gone --  I'll be surprised if it is still there --  It is deep in the thick so it may have been spared   

We do have a backup plan if the stand is compromised, just not as good of a view

Stand was there -- deer were not --- Too many dogs with sonar like electronics

We where on the stand at 5:20 am -- left stand at 9am -- overrun by loud beeping dogs -- spent another 2 hours working he thick dense underbrush in the hopes of tripping over the hiding deer

Back on stand at 2pm -- stayed till too dark to see --  after 2 the dogs where far less but still beeping --  just loud piercing beeps -- kinda like sonar -- have no idea why

Stand was there -- deer were not --- Too many dogs with sonar like electronics

We where on the stand at 5:20 am -- left stand at 9am -- overrun by loud beeping dogs -- spent another 2 hours working he thick dense underbrush in the hopes of tripping over the hiding deer

Back on stand at 2pm -- stayed till too dark to see --  after 2 the dogs where far less but still beeping --  just loud piercing beeps -- kinda like sonar -- have no idea why

Such is hunting on public land...