AlDente67

Steel case versus brass?

I'm guessing this topic has been done to death, but I didn't see any threads recently...

What are the cons to getting bulk steel case versus brass for someone who does not reload (because he has no idea how).

The steel case rounds can be had for prices that are not terrible here and there.  I'm mostly looking at 9mm Luger and 223/556.

Is it just the dirt that is a factor?  Are steel case rounds less dependable or less accurate?

In teh past you could get wolf with steel case and copper jacketed projectiles. Hornady steel match is currently that. In terms of the case material, jsut some extra dirt is all that matters. Most if not all of the russian steel cased stuff now is copper washed steel jacketed projectiles. That's really what I do not want to shoot in my guns. THe plating is VERY thin, and the jacket material runs from significantly harder than copper or gilding metal to shockingly hard. They'll shoot, but the degree to which they will beat on your barrel might be significant. IMO, do the cost analysis at this point based on barrel replacement intervals and how many cases you need to shoot to pay for a barrel vs. buyign cheaper brass cased with normal jackets.

The lucky gunner article is really really good. They even cover the wear issue I mentioned. However, they seem to be doing their math on cheaper with a benchmark of a $200 chrome lined ar-15 barrel for their cost math, the floor seems closer to about $240-250 now. On top of that, the OP never said AR or chrome lined. a 416 stainless barrel in a box stock 1911 isn't going to fare nearly as well as a chome lined 4150 CMV barrel under friction. Not to mention when it does, barrel replacement isn't as cheap as on an AR. THe barrel costs about the same or more, and installation labor and shipment to a gunsmith to fit it is much higher than DIY on an AR.