lunker

Recommendation on reloading rifles dies brands for a Dillon 550B

Just like the title says. I have a Dillon 550B. I would've just gotten the Dillon dies, but they do not make them in less popular calibers like 45-70, which is what I will be loading in. I bought the Dillon Caliber Conversion kit. Now I just need dies.

Does anyone have any recommendations on brands? I know that I wouldn't use the third die in many kits since my powder die already handles belling the case mouth. I have also read that people get more consistent results with buying two of the seating/crimping die and using one to seat and one to crimp in separate stages. It is supposedly less tricky than setting up to seat and crimp in one stage. 

Thanks in advance. 

May have a set of Hornady dies in 45-70 on the bench I don't use anymore.  If I find them and any heads I send you a PM.  Don't need two separate stages to seat and crimp 45-70s as you need to "roll" the case mouth into the cannelure to grip the bullet.  This round loads and performs like a giant 38 special or 357 round.  You will need to do this to get any accuracy in the load.  Caution on what firearms you will use it in. There are different load data for old firearms vs marlins vs ruger #1s.  Be in touch.

Had an 1895SS that I sold to another forum member here.  Sold off my lever "hammer" guns (45-70, 35Rem) as I just didn't use them that much anymore. Seem to stay between ,22 and ,30 size calibers anymore.

Trying to obliterate the pig I see...  ;)

I have a bad shoulder, and my insurance doesn't cover chiropractic adjustments so this is the next best thing. :)

Actually, big, fat, slow moving bullets are good for taking down animals with a minimum of meat spoilage. I have heard stories of folks trying to take down a pig with 223 fmj and the butcher showing them the destroyed meat. 

I have a bad shoulder, and my insurance doesn't cover chiropractic adjustments so this is the next best thing. :)

Actually, big, fat, slow moving bullets are good for taking down animals with a minimum of meat spoilage. I have heard stories of folks trying to take down a pig with 223 fmj and the butcher showing them the destroyed meat. 

I went with a 30-30.  My dad had a 30-06 and in one case the exit hole was as big as a fist, I suspect he hit bone as he was shooting milsurp rounds. (Hey, it's what we had.)

Chris - Dillon sells Redding dies, I would thing you want a roll crimp in a tubular magazine.  Just saying...

And the guys I heard of shooting piggies with a 223 are taking head shots.  Again...Just saying...

I saw the Redding dies but wasn't sure if they were better or worse than Lee, etc...

I saw the Redding dies but wasn't sure if they were better or worse than Lee, etc...

Chris- If Dillon is putting them on their site for use with their presses I would think they have a vested interest in selling a quality product.

Lee?  I get the impression they may be a little rough.  I don't see anybody offering a carbide sizing die in 45-70 but with the cost of

45-70 brass that would be my first choice.  I like RCBS as well.  Just me but I wouldn't want a longitudinal scratch on that beautiful

45-70 brass.

Chris- If Dillon is putting them on their site for use with their presses I would think they have a vested interest in selling a quality product.

Lee?  I get the impression they may be a little rough.  I don't see anybody offering a carbide sizing die in 45-70 but with the cost of

45-70 brass that would be my first choice.  I like RCBS as well.  Just me but I wouldn't want a longitudinal scratch on that beautiful

45-70 brass.

At nearly $1 a pop for the brass, I would love a carbide die. 

Redding is "supposed" to be better but someone was just have a problem with their dies in 460 Rowland (or some other big honking caliber like that).

Yeah. that was me.  I had a huge problem with their 460 S&W magnum sizing die.  It liked to destroy cases.  The expander die and the seat/crimp die are OK though.  My preference is Honady or RCBS.  I have never had a problem with either

Ken