Sign in to follow this  
greatgunstatenj

Slug Question 12ga vs 20ga

My GF and I went to the range this past weekend with my new 870 12ga rifled barrel and her new 20ga 870 smooth bore. We used the following ammo:

My ammo: Remington Premier Accutip 2 3/4 385 grain.

Her ammo: Remington 20 ga 2 3/4" 5/8oz Slugger Rifled Slug

We were shooting at cardboard to sight in our guns. I noticed that the holes made by her slugs were quite a bit larger than those made by my slugs. I thought this was odd for two reasons:

1. My gun is 12 ga... 12 is bigger than 20

2. The slugs I was using boast "Huge .58-caliber slug is the largest tipped slug available today"

I poked around online and could find no explanation. Maybe it has to do with the 20ga having a looser spin or slight wobble but the holes looked clean and symmetrical, not oblong like the 20ga slug was tumbling or anything. Perhaps the accutips are supposed to hold form for better penetration and the lead sluggers deform? 

Anyone know what would cause this? Thanks.

Simple:  A 20 ga. is .62 Caliber.!

She's not using a sabot and your 12 ga. IS, so you're firing a SMALLER projectile, diameter-wise.  So her holes are wider than those from your 12 ga.

If you step-up to a rifled 1-oz. slug, your holes will be bigger and 1 oz. = 437.5 grains of projectile.

Hope this helps!

Dave

I would guess its similar to wad cutters vs round nose bullets. The wad cutters (flat bullets) make a much larger and cleaner hole than a similar sized bullet with round nose. While the 20 Ga is 3mm less in diameter it may just make a nicer hole compared to your pointed 12Ga slug.

I would guess its similar to wad cutters vs round nose bullets. The wad cutters (flat bullets) make a much larger and cleaner hole than a similar sized bullet with round nose. While the 20 Ga is 3mm less in diameter it may just make a nicer hole compared to your pointed 12Ga slug.

This is incorrect!  Please see my post above.  The OP stated his projectile is ONLY .58 caliber, and it says so on the ammo box he bought.  The 20 ga. Foster-style slugs are larger in diameter than the .58 he's shooting from his 12 ga.!

Not trying to be a PITA, just want to set the record straight.

Dave

Simple:  A 20 ga. is .62 Caliber.!

She's not using a sabot and your 12 ga. IS, so you're firing a SMALLER projectile, diameter-wise.  So her holes are wider than those from your 12 ga.

If you step-up to a rifled 1-oz. slug, your holes will be bigger and 1 oz. = 437.5 grains of projectile.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Not arguing just trying to understand how the 20ga is bigger. The 20ga were 5/8 or .625 ounce which is approx 273 grains. The 385 grain 12ga slugs works out to .88 ounce. I know that weight doesn't necessarily mean anything to caliber but generally speaking the 12ga is larger diameter. I'm sure it can come down to actual shape of particular ammo but since I didn't see anything specific regarding size I figured the 12ga would be larger. I see 20ga is .615 which is larger than these particular accutip slugs. I guess the 20ga sluggers are closer to .615. 

So now I question why the Remington accutip claims it's a huge caliber at .58 when a 12ga can be .729? 

Edit: Nevermind... largest "tipped" slug! RIF