Melgamatic

Ruger American Rimfire

I've been looking for a couple of rifles to buy for Boy Scout shooting (merit badge and open shooting). Needs to be bolt action and capable of single loading, with iron sights.

I read a review of the new Ruger American Rimfire in the latest Guns & Ammo magazine, and then followed up with some online reviews.  Looks good. Uses 10/22 rotary magazines (or we'd load singly).  MSRP is $329, but you can get them for around $250 on gunbroker.

Has anyone touched, seen or felt these rifles?  How did they look?

-Dave

I haven't shot the Ruger American Rimfire yet but I do have a Ruger American in .243 and absolutely love it, great gun for the money and I am already shooting sub MOA out to 100 yards. 

I also have a Savege MKII .22 bolt action.  Great gun for the $$ (under $200 new), mine has a few thousand rounds through it with no problems.  Not a sub-MOA gun but under 2" groups at 100 yards.

As much as I love Ruger, start the kids off right and get a classically styled wood stocked rifle.  Scouting is about tradition and there is noting more traditional than wood.

For value and simplicity, I suggest the H&R breech loading Handi-Rifle.  Breech loaders are on the BSA approved list.

The Savage Rascal may also fit the bill.  Inexpensive single shot bolt action.

If you are going to do both rifle and shotgun, consider a Rossi with interchangeable .22LR/20ga barrels.

I went to a military academy for HS and we trained with the Winchester Model 67

I have a RAR in 243 and so far I love it.  I've heard good and not so good reviews on the RA Rimfire though.

You can't really go wrong with the Ruger but you may be able to go more right with something else.

Well, that's my two cents.  Considering you can't even buy one gumball with that these days, take it for what it's worth.

Saw one at French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville PA. a couple of weeks ago.  Looks like a really nice rifle.  My son and I went to six gun shops that day and they were the only ones to have the Ruger American rimfire. He ended up buying a CZ 455 Lux.

I bought two of them on gunbroker for $269 each, had them delivered to GunForHire, $20 for the transfer INCLUDING NICS.

Shot one of them today with my son.  Offhand, he shot around a 3" group for 30 rounds, and I had about a 1" group at 15 yards.  Nothing to brag about, but more than sufficient.  The guns are very lightweight, which is great for scouts.  My son usually shoots from the bench, and he had no troubles doing really well standing.

Great buys!