DJNEB

Question is this would prevent me from obtaining a handgun permit

It's the same legal standard to get a FID as a pistol purchase permit.  You don't have to be "cleaner" or "nicer" to get the pistol purchase permit.  So there's no reason why you shouldn't just apply for the pistol permit if you have a FID already.  Expungements are nice and all, but unless you need it for other reasons or have that kind of money to spare, no need for it right now.

I was arrested my guns and FID confiscated, charges were dismissed, got my expugment.  The police refused to return my guns and card without a judge order and  I had the dismissed paper. I had to to go back to court to get my guns back. I got the hell out of NJ. To be safe get the case expunge first. The police have access to your case even if it was expunged.

I was arrested my guns and FID confiscated, charges were dismissed, got my expugment.  The police refused to return my guns and card without a judge order and  I had the dismissed paper. I had to to go back to court to get my guns back. I got the hell out of NJ. To be safe get the case expunge first. The police have access to your case even if it was expunged.

My situation was a little different... I was arrested and only my shotgun was taken as evidence.  Upon the month or two later that the case was officially dismissed, I was able to call up the Cherry Hill PD and make an appointment with the detective handling the case to get my property back.  I was able to retrieve it no problem, and have no criminal record, and this is my only problem with law enforcement.  Someone who posted earlier made a good point, with saying since the case was dismissed, my gun returned, and at no point did I lose my FID, I should be fine.   I think that your situation may have been a bit different,though I am not going to ask you to disclose it.