Sign in to follow this  
Kimber45

thinkng of my next build

Hello all. I just finished up my 300 BLK thanks to Backwoods Customs... ( Thanks Chris ) Now iam looking into doing an SPR in 308. Ive looked at the Maten from Mega really nice and also looked at the Rainer 308 matched upper and lower. I like them both... my question is anyone have experence building a 308? I know the assembly is similar to its smaller brother but are their any pitfalls i should know about.... please school me... iam an open book... thanks.

There are no industry wide standards for 308 based ARs like 223/5.56.  There are differences from vendor to vendor.  Important also to know what mags are used.  AR10 type builds require a definite attention to detail.  Research, ask questions, and be sure before opening the wallet too wide. Could be costly.

Good Luck. 

Kimber45,

I just finished building a ar308. It is based on a SI Defense matched upper/lower receiver. Si is real good quality stuff and a matched set is available in their web site (just google SI Defense). Now, as for the parts, some do interchange with the standard ar14 some do not. Be careful what you order!! AR10 stuff is often different from ar308. It seems the most manufacturers will say that their parts are DPMS compatable or Armalite (AR10) compatible. Others still, as tbill stated are all together different. When getting a barrel and nut, the Ar10 will not fit the AR308.

Anyhow, just after I finished my build, I found that POF has a new gen 4 upper and lower. So, I had to have one :-) It is really sweet! I am a lefty and the POF has true ambi controls. The gun is really put together well and NO play between the upper and lower. I would give them a look as well.

The web being what it is, you have no problem finding the info you need. Fulton Armory is a good source of parts (they call them FAR308). My barrel came from Rainier Arms. They have many different grades to choose from. I have not shot mine as of yet, but I was told that it was real well finished by the person that installed the brake (JT Custom Guns). Speaking of brake...Be careful that the brake you get is finished. The one I had pinned on was not finished to the proper size. I only found that out in my final cleaning. That is when the gun went to JT Custom Guns to be finished. Jack did a great job of making it all right (no he was not the one who initially installed the brake but that is another story)

Hope this helps

Hello all. I just finished up my 300 BLK thanks to Backwoods Customs... ( Thanks Chris ) Now iam looking into doing an SPR in 308. Ive looked at the Maten from Mega really nice and also looked at the Rainer 308 matched upper and lower. I like them both... my question is anyone have experence building a 308? I know the assembly is similar to its smaller brother but are their any pitfalls i should know about.... please school me... iam an open book... thanks.

Make sure you use a .308 AR LPK and not an AR15 LPK. While most of the parts are interchangeable, the bolt catches are not. An AR15 bolt catch will fit however will eventually break.