Sign in to follow this  
Mreed731

Definition of business owner

Does anyone know where I can find or have an opinion on the definition of business owner relative to a handgun stored on premises. Currently I am a shareholder but not actually listed as an officer of the corporation but my name is on the lease of the building that I am working out of. Does this qualify me as an "owner" ?

ive done research into this and there is no definite answer. I would think your name on the lease your good to go and your a share holder. It does not even say business owner the law states your place of business. So it is really left to be interpreted.

Name on lease = probably good enough..   just being a shareholder means nothing though (I own shares of several companies, but I couldnt walk into their lobby with a gun attached to me)..  :D

agreed but it depends on the company. if you have shares in a publicly traded large company, a big box store or something its much different than if your 1 of 10 share holders in a small local company. I would think that a good lawyer can fight that you are then part owner. But there is no definite answer about that.

You own shares (a percentage) of a closely held private corporation, your name is on the lease for the location occupied by this corporation and you work out of that very location?  Is that accurate?

Don't confuse being an officer of the corporation with being an owner of the corporation.

You can be an officer of a closely held corporation and not be an shareholder (owner) and you can certainly be a shareholder and not an officer.