Scorpio64

Range Report - First Time Out With New AR-15

Today was the first outing with my AR-15 SPR build.  Actually, first time with an AR-15 ever.  Took some time to dial in the scope (Sun Optics Shorty Forty AO).  I can't say I'm in love with the scope.  The focus changes a lot with the zoom and eye relief goes out the window on full 9x power. It's not bad on low power though.  After I got it dialed in at 30 yds there were no more excuses.  I really have to work on trigger control.  While my groupings eventually became pretty good, shot placement was B-A-D, consistently low and to the right.  I only got into HP rifles last year, bought myself a Ruger American .243 and the comparatively slow fire rate that goes along with bolt action practically forces self control.  Semi-auto is too tempting to go pow pow pow...pow pow....pow pow pow.  Next time out I'll have to work on hitting the black at 100yds.

I will say that the groupings remained pretty good even after I heated up the barrel (18" stainless Rainier Match .223 Wylde) with multiple the three round bursts.  The FF tube became toasty warm, not hot enough to burn my hand but hot enough to be uncomfortable.  I think some shooting gloves will go on my shopping list.

I shot two kinds of ammo, Lake City XM855 62gr green tips and Igman M855 62gr green tips.  LC ammo smells like cat piss.  For some reason LC ejects at 5 o'clock and Igman ejects at 3 o'clock.  wtf is up with that?  Furthermore, I didn't bother to keep track of which ammo I used on which targets so it's impossible to say if one shot better than the other.

Lastly, there was a glitch.  For some reason the last round out of the mags did not want to chamber.  I suspect it has something to do with the AR Stoner 15/20 mags, maybe a problem with the followers but I'll have to research that.

Other than that one hopefully minor issue things went well.  I let another more experienced shooter in the lane next to me fire off a full magazine and he said the rifle was sweet and pretty much dead on at 50 yds..  I'm not very experienced with shooting rifles, life long shot gunner turned center fire geek just last year, so I apologize for this poorly accounted range report, but, it was my first time out with my new toy and too excited not to share the experience.