30WCF

Reapplying for FPP card for another handgun purchase?

Several years ago, the local twp required me to reapply (with all the costs) for the long gun purchaser permit (that I already had) just to purchase a handgun, even though there was nothing wrong with the card I had. Is this normal in NJ? I'm thinking of making another handgun purchase but if I have to go through the whole process and expense again, I may not.

The process is the same to obtain handgun purchase permits as it is to get your FPID. You just have to check the correct boxes at the top of the application (STS-033).

Post #5 in the thread linked below, outlines the process as it is now...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/74231-change-of-address-forms/#entry937979

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well, what my beef is, is if my long gun purchaser card is still valid, why should I have to put out almost $100 again and go through the whole 1-2 month (long gun) fingerprint approval process, with references and all again & receive another identical card, instead of just the fingerprint checks for the new handgun part?

The process is the same, regardless. Whether you need to be fingerprinted again or just undergo a non-criminal background check is at the discretion of your CLEO.

You do not need to get another FPID, just purchase permits, but as I said, the process is the same. Even if your PD requires new prints, it is more like $60, not $100. Most of that goes for the printing. Permits are $2 ea. If your PD will accept the background check, it will save you about $40 off that $60.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well, what my beef is, is if my long gun purchaser card is still valid, why should I have to put out almost $100 again and go through the whole 1-2 month (long gun) fingerprint approval process, with references and all again & receive another identical card, instead of just the fingerprint checks for the new handgun part?

What municipality is this?

Not sure about the OPs location, but Bernards Township requires new prints if they are more than 1 year old! Frustrating BS. It's posted on the town website as a local policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does seem lawful given the way the statute is written? what about fingerprints change? Didn't jersey city try a bunch of craziness that was struck down in court?

Hey, I'm for fingerprinting and I don't care if they want to charge a couple bucks for it. But if you have to go through the whole system & expenses as if applying for your first time, when there's nothing wrong with your present certification, then that's just an harassment.

It's like making you take the drivers test again every time you want to buy a new car.

Did everyone get the note from the 2A with task force 2.0?  I haven't had experience but supposedly they are looking at towns that are asking above and beyond the statute and threatening or taking some action.  Might want to give them heads up on this.