Malsua

Anyone a forklift mechanic?

We have/had a forklift guy but he's a constant no-show.

Know of anyone that does that kind of thing?   We have 4 stand up and two sit down type forklifts/Hi0lo and 8 so electric jacks.  Everything will need serviced at one point or another.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, AlDente67 said:

I do.  I should see him this weekend.  Has been working on them for at least 20 years, including a stint with Foley CAT shop near Piscataway.  He is reliable.   You looking for full time staffer or as needed on the side?

It's an on the side thing.  We don't need repairs constantly, but we do need 'em.  He can even come look at the stuff.  Some older crown lifts mostly.   We're in Maywood NJ.

I will let him know.  He is fulltime where he is at, so this would be icing on the cake for him as a side gig.   BTW, I am/was a certified operator on the propane standard style. Also do high-reach and electric pallet jacks.  Ican drop 2-ton pallets from 20 feet with the best of them.  :rofl:

49 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

I will let him know.  He is fulltime where he is at, so this would be icing on the cake for him as a side gig.   BTW, I am/was a certified operator on the propane standard style. Also do high-reach and electric pallet jacks.  Ican drop 2-ton pallets from 20 feet with the best of them.  :rofl:

Thanks, it would be great to have a guy that wants some occasional work.

I used to use the propane Hysters around 6k lift at the wood mill/cabinet shop I worked at.  We had an auto and a manual drive.  One was two stage, the other three.    Outside, wheels.   I got pretty good at it but I haven't used one around here in a long time.  I am certified on the scissor jacks, man lifts, forklifts though.

The tops of our racks are at 18 feet, so nothing goes higher than that since the beams are bit lower.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

Nice piece of equipment.   I wish I had 4 of them.

They cost as much as a nice Mercedes.

They wanted us to use them to unload trucks and trailers too but they which 13k pounds. I told the bosses not a good idea. They said do it anyway. Was less than a week before one went through the floor of some beat up LTL truck.

Management asks what happened. I tell them exactly what I told you was going to happen.

Idiots.

5 minutes ago, brucin said:

They cost as much as a nice Mercedes.

They wanted us to use them to unload trucks and trailers too but they which 13k pounds. I told the bosses not a good idea. They said do it anyway. Was less than a week before one went through the floor of some beat up LTL truck.

Management asks what happened. I tell them exactly what I told you was going to happen.

Idiots.

We only unload trailer with electric hand jacks and shorts get one side at a time.

We had a shorty trailer with some very heavy pallets of knives that was sitting forward of the front landing gear.     They unloaded the trailer from back to front of course and right about the time the back wheel of the forklift was on the dock the trailer flipped up.   The fork truck came off, the front wheels came off the dock and it all got wedged right at the dock halfway under the trailer.   fortunately, the forklift didn't wind up on the pavement.  We were able to winch it back up onto the dock then winch the trailer down until it could get lightened.