Melgamatic

Today at Monmouth County

Arrived at 11:30am, had the range to myself. Beautiful warm sunny day. Shot around 100rnds of 223, testing three different powder loads (21.0, 21.5 and 22.0 grains) trying to find the most accurate load.

Then, around 40rnds of 308, sighting in a new rifle. Peacful, wonderful.

Locked the gate on my way out. Amazing, that on a beautiful sunny day like today only 2 members signed in!

-Melgamatic

Sounds nice to have the range to yourself! For the price, the hour drive to this place doesnt seem so bad. Just wish they had some pictures on the website so I could get an idea of the layout

here is a google map link:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=102727359301441126003.00046b36c761d000a02c4&ll=40.195102,-74.134369&spn=0.034715,0.04107&t=h&z=15

Now, follow to the end of Hill Blvd where it hits the airport runway. Go west along the bottom of the runway, and then west along the bottom of the crop field. Just when the road hits the woods again you'll see the cleared area of the MCR&PC.

There is a simple 100 & 50 yard rifle range (sharing benches, with different berms). The trap range sweeps across them (so when they hold trap competitions the rifle ranges are not used). Perpendicular to the rifle ranges are the three pistol ranges. Besides that there is a porta potty, three storage containers for match supplies, and a new construction office trailer we're using for police qualifications office work. So, there's not much to it. It's quite primitive.

But, it's dirt cheap, open dawn to dusk 363 days a year, and there are absolutely 0 hassles about anything (that's legal in NJ).

-Melgamatic

There is a monthly membership meeting every month in the evening in Spring Lake Heights. You only have to go to one to get introduced and signed in, but from then on they are optional..But, there are usually guys with stuff to sell so it's fun.

Due are $175 to join and then $100 a year (so $275 the first year only).

The entrance is just like I said with the google maps. Go down Hill, drive along the service way at the end of the runway, down a dirt road through the soybean field, and then you are there. You can also enter off of W. Hurley Pond Rd off 34, then through the airport service areas, along the runway. They have been working on permits for their own driveway off of Belmar Blvd, and I think that is going to happen soon.

There are sometimes 10-15 members at a weekend event, but other times I've never seen more than 2 or 3 other members. Lots of times (like beautiful sunny yesterday afternoon) there is no one else. I've had to unlock the gate myself 75% of the times I've been shooting.

The event calendar is here:

http://geocities.com/mcrpcnj/schedule.htm

If anyone wants to join let me know and I'll give you my name to put on your application. You need two references who know you, but I'm not sure they are called and they don't need members of the club for that (you can join without knowing anyone). I get $25 off my next year's renewal if I "refer" you, but you can do that or not (I'm not shilling to get the discount!)

Oh, they also do the CMP qualifications once a month, so you can get your name on the list to buy a CMP rifle.

-Melgamatic