The rifle receiver is the regulated part in NJ insofar as what is considered the "firearm". You can buy a stripped lower AR receiver, then buy the rest of the parts for it and build it. In NJ you cannot "bend" or mill your own receiver without a manufacturers license... but it doesnt matter just buy the stripped lower and start from there.

Make sure you keep the AR type rifle legal (no flash hider, no bayo lug, no collapsable stock), 16" or greater barrel, no "AR15" named lower.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wanted to build an M4 or similar AR-15 variant.

So if I buy the complete lower receiver, it includes the trigger mechanism too? What else would I need for the lower part of the gun?

I'm guessing I would need the bolt, bolt carrier, barrel, upper receiver...etc for the top. Is there a list somewhere I can read/learn?

Who makes a good, useable (for my purposes) lower receiver? How much do they run?

Also, what is the mag capacity cap?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wanted to build an M4 or similar AR-15 variant.

So if I buy the complete lower receiver, it includes the trigger mechanism too? What else would I need for the lower part of the gun?

I'm guessing I would need the bolt, bolt carrier, barrel, upper receiver...etc for the top. Is there a list somewhere I can read/learn?

Who makes a good, useable (for my purposes) lower receiver? How much do they run?

Also, what is the mag capacity cap?

Thanks in advance.

Go to WWW.AR15.COM

Tons of info there.

So if I buy the complete lower receiver

If you build a stripped lower, no it does not. It you purchase a lower with a lower parts kit installed, it will have the hammer, trigger, safety, etc. installed. It isn't that difficult but will take some time for the first time builder. While not quite n"drop in", the lower parts kit requires minimal fitting and testing.

The difference between the lower parts kit installed or separate is only a few dollars but you do learn a lot by installing the parts yourself.

If you can work with legos, you can install an ar15 type trigger & related stuff. There are tutorials with photos online. The first one I did, with no prior related experience....took about 20 minutes...and its pretty close to drop in. I didnt have any fitting to do...Get a good stripped receiver and parts and you should have no problem. As for the upper, it may be easier to buy a complete upper with barrel already installed. There are tons of options..just be sure not to get one with a flashhider or bayo lug. You can even get a few different uppers if you cant deceide on which one you like...to install, its just 2 pins...couldnt be any easier.

A few tips:

1. Please...DO NOT use a hammer on the trigger and hammer pins!!! This will prematurely elongate those holes.

2. Three long springs look identical, but one is stiffer than the other two. That one goes into the grip.

3. Two short springs look identical. One has a wider end which goes into the trigger.

4. Buy a touch-up pen.

Started a thread with links/tutorials/resources on building an AR here:

http://www.njgunforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1237

I'm going to be waiting a while to start mine as I think we're now on the downside of the "Obamamania" price curve.