matt6669

Big Shoutout to Malsua

Hey guys, I just wanted to give a big thanks to Malsua. I had only messaged him last night on here mentioning I was looking for someone to show me around Cherry Ridge since I am a member there but have not shot there. He replied back right away, and we ended up meeting up this morning at 10:30. It was awesome, that range is really nice over there and I hope to meet some more of you guys over there as well.

If anyone is ever looking for someone to go shooting with, I'm right over here in West Milford only about 15 minutes away, drop me a pm I'd be more than happy to tag along.

Off to the gun store, need more bullets

Matt

Hi Guys. Great to see some shooting groups forming. After the holidays perhaps we can all meet and break some clay, I have an electric thrower that will keep all of us busy.

Tom :D

Tom,

That sounds great! The 4th weekend is out for me but after that I can probably swing it if we're not going out on the boat. Still haven't got the house painted but the prep is all done. Just need 4 days without rain and the weather hasn't cooperated. :( I'll try hard to get down there though even though it's been a busy summer, the guns must fire!

Also, I'm going to have a new pad on the Mossberg 835, no bruises next time.

I've always wanted to get a Mosin Nagant. I hear they have some pretty brutal recoil.

Yes most definitely had a blast Mal, I got back in my truck and looked at the time I was like, damn, were we really bsing for that long. It was great meeting you and once again thanks for taking the time to show me around.

Tom that sounds excellent bring that baby on by. I just picked up a case of birds from rip off davis's and I just remembered I have like 2 full spackle buckets of birds from back in the day when my father use to shoot. I don't know if they will stay together when there launched, but its clay and hasn't gotten wet so should be ok, but I'll bring everything to share with everybody.

Now I just need to find me some cheap ammo b/c my wallet is still hurting from spending 23 bucks for a box of 50 of .40cal blaser fmj, i almost laughed at the guy but I bought it anyway, can't have a gun in the house without ammo, thats just not American

I usually buy shot shells from Dicks. Remington Gun Club is $5.98/box, when you buy a case there is a $1.00 rebate per box which brings the price down to $4.98/box. One last tip if you have an Entertainment book (the one with all the coupons) there are Dicks coupons in there. Make sure you have a Dicks score card, you earn a $10.00 certificate for every $300.00 spent.

As for clays I buy 10-12 cases each time so I call a few shops to see who will give me the best price.

Yes most definitely had a blast Mal, I got back in my truck and looked at the time I was like, damn, were we really bsing for that long. It was great meeting you and once again thanks for taking the time to show me around.

Matt,

Yeah, nice to get to meet you. I stood there so long I got fairly heavy sunburn :lol:. I got home and the wife said "what happened to you, you never spend 3 hours at the range". Hehe. Next time we should bring the good cameras and we can get some action shots.

Also, you should check at Davis shooting. Their prices might be a touch lower. Clays were only $13.99 last time I bought them. Gander has them for $12.99 but for the difference in gas it's cheaper at Davis. Maybe give them a ring.

well davis out in sloatsburg had the birds for 12.99 so I thought that was a decent deal so i picked up a box. And it seems the price I paid for ammo isn't so far out there for .40 s&w it just seems the price has skyrocketed from the last time I bought. Oh well.

Yes, must bring camera's next time, get some good pictures of birds flying apart :)

Not to derail this thread too much, but, is Cherry Ridge predominantly a clay shooting range? I'd hate to join and then be the only weirdo shooting an AR lol

No. In fact the shotgun range is probably the least busy of them all.

Also, you can check out the range before joining, just don't bring any firearms. While the road says "private" don't sweat it. Just drive in and check out the ranges. As long as you aren't up on the firing line no one will ask to see a range pass.

Not to derail this thread too much, but, is Cherry Ridge predominantly a clay shooting range? I'd hate to join and then be the only weirdo shooting an AR lol

This is a description from their website:

Clubhouse: Built in early

Shotgun is a small portion of Cherry Ridge the busiest ranges tend to be the handgun, rifle and high power ranges.

AR's are welcome and plentiful ;)

Ah ok - cool. Thanks for the clarification. Now I guess my concern will be actually finding an empty bay to use :)

Not to worry finding an empty bay is not a problem, occasionally you may find a shooter spread out over two or more benches just ask politely, they will gatherup and make room.

You have to check the calendar for events. The range used is closed for the duration of the event. Only once over the years shooting there, I had a problem finding a bay

Not to worry finding an empty bay is not a problem, occasionally you may find a shooter spread out over two or more benches just ask politely, they will gatherup and make room.

You have to check the calendar for events. The range used is closed for the duration of the event. Only once over the years shooting there, I had a problem finding a bay

Some times the events will leave the range open but under the control of the guy running the event. It is definitely important to check the calender, specially on weekends.

Some times the events will leave the range open but under the control of the guy running the event. It is definitely important to check the calender, specially on weekends.

Which is of course the only time I can go :x

Thanks for all the info guys!

Which is of course the only time I can go :x

Thanks for all the info guys!

I can pretty much only shoot on weekends and I've never had an issue. Just plan ahead :)

I went up father's day wkend and the 100 yd rifle range was "closed" for a small bore youth match - but the match organizer was more than nice in letting us shoot my 10/22 but I tried to keep it between their match breaks - but as long as it was 22 he was cool with it.

I've found nothing but nice guys there so far.