Zabuca

Shipping firearm out of state

39 minutes ago, Zabuca said:

Looking back at previous posts I’m still unsure of what’s allowed. If Im selling a firearm to someone from another state, do i need to go through a FFL to send that firearm to their FFL? Or can I ship it myself? 

Depends upon the receiving dealer's policy. Ask them. Not unlawful to send it yourself. BUT, it may cost you more.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PK90 said:

Depends upon the receiving dealer's policy. Ask them. Not unlawful to send it yourself. BUT, it may cost you more.

^^^This...you can usually ship to another ffl via your DL...  *but*, you need to see what your shipping and how....carries have differing policies...I find it easier to use my local 01ffl to ship....

• Like 1

I was at a range/ffl today and asked the person doing my transfer about shipping handguns legally out of state. He told me it was illegal for a non-licensee to ship a handgun period. 

truthfully, I just prefer shipping anything serialized through ffl to save myself headache and stress. 

7 minutes ago, Zabuca said:

I was at a range/ffl today and asked the person doing my transfer about shipping handguns legally out of state. He told me it was illegal for a non-licensee to ship a handgun period. 

truthfully, I just prefer shipping anything serialized through ffl to save myself headache and stress. 

Not sure about that, but I agree with your sentiment timwnt and have been doing it that way for most of the last 15years...easy peasy...as long as your ffl doesn't charge you a vig to do so.

It's not illegal

You can ship a rifle/ shotgun through the USPS:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

A handgun may be shipped with UPS if you follow their rules (expensive)

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page

Fedex only accepts shipments from FFL.