brucin

What to do about valet parking

A few friends and the lovely Cindy and I went out for dinner last night and as always I was carrying. I knew the establishment we were visiting has a liquor license so I knew thanks to the recent decision I would have to leave my self defense firearm locked in the safe of my car.

When we arrived much to my dismay the establishment only offered valet parking. What to do? There is no nearby street parking so I dropped off my party and drove about a half mile away to park and locked my firearm up .Returned to the restaurant had another Thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat, wait that was another incident.

Just interested in opinions would it be prudent to lock the firearm in the safe in the car and then relinquish the keys to the car to the valet? Would that even be legal? The car is an SUV so there is no trunk and it has keyless entry so I had to leave a fob with the valet if I chose valet parking.

I'm sure this is a situation that our legislators thought long and hard about (NOT). 

If the valet parking was in a parking garage, I would park it myself. If the parking was a lot that was the restaurant's property I would reluctantly allow the valet to park it there instead of my parking on a street some distance away. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I'm extremely adverse to having my conceal carry anyplace other than on my person, so I would go to a byob place or leave it home. I also have a SUV, but there's a few compartment pockets that are semi-hidden. I have also made it a habit to google potential locations I may visit.

4 hours ago, 67gtonut said:

What would I do?

Simple..... My firearm would have stayed on my person.... 

Not worth it If someone sees it you can be charged with a felony right now.  Wich would mean you would have to surrender all firearms until your found not guilty or they make you sell them

• FacePalm 1

You could potentially be completely up-front with the valet, informing him that you are locking your EDC concealed weapon in the vehicle as a result of misguided NJ law, and also informing him that you not only hold the business responsible for safekeeping of the firearm, but also him, personally. Ask for his ID, and invite him to summon a manager if there is anything you have demanded that he objects to. Your party might not get to eat in that restaurant as planned, but you would most assuredly be making a point that very much needs to be made.

• Haha 1