Cheflife15

Grendel hunter

Bump. 

Where's the normal group of people to educate me.

Most of my googling tells me they're acceptable. I'm looking to have the potential if longer distance shooting. I would love to find a 4-500 yard range to stretch this round out. 

My birthday is coming up so it's either a 6mm arc complete upper, or something in 300 win mag cause that sounds fun too. 

I've seen all decent reviews. 

I always debate spending more for a better barrel (which will probably outshoot my skill set anyways). 

Everything brand I googled for 6mm arc had mixed reviews so I feel like its a gamble regardless.

Anyone have any favorites? Price can be flexible if it's worth it but I'd like to keep it In the $7-1000 range. 

49 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

I always debate spending more for a better barrel

Never ever debate that.  The barrel is the absolute foundation of every rifle, you build the rifle around it.  You can spend hundreds on a fine trigger, thousands on an exceptional optic, have the most precise squared receiver, but if you skimp on the barrel, you may as well have flushed your money down the toilet.

Precision begins with the barrel.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

I'm going to go to YouTube University and see how hard it is to build an upper. 

Maybe I can keep the cost down and get the best parts that way. 

Personally like Stag Arms Upper receivers, they are tight to the barrel requiring a little heat to install barrel.

Might be overkill, I've had great shooters that weren't as tight.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jon K said:

Personally like Stag Arms Upper receivers, they are tight to the barrel requiring a little heat to install barrel.

Might be overkill, I've had great shooters that weren't as tight.

They're actually priced very modestly in comparison. This may be a good route for me. 

9 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

They're actually priced very modestly in comparison. This may be a good route for me. 

Yes, used one on my last build, with grendel hunter 19" fluted barrel (target crown) and their handguard. Shoots one moa with hornady ammo, and sub moa with my handloads. Brass is hard to come by, but started seeing 6 ARC brass back in stock, so 6.5 Grendel isn't far behind.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jon K said:

Yes, used one on my last build, with grendel hunter 19" fluted barrel (target crown) and their handguard. Shoots one moa with hornady ammo, and sub moa with my handloads. Brass is hard to come by, but started seeing 6 ARC brass back in stock, so 6.5 Grendel isn't far behind.

What distance were you shooting out to? What optic as well?

23 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

What distance were you shooting out to? What optic as well?

Only at 100 yards so far, been working up loads for it. I just have a 3-9x44 on it for now. I typically use an inexpensive scope on a build until it proves its worth something better. It does, but I'm working on other projects at the moment. 

Grendel should be good out to 300, but haven't got around to trying that out yet. My handloads are pretty close to the 2475 fps I get with the 123gr  Hornady Black factory stuff. Its a better round than say the 300 blk or the 7.62x39R. Neither of which are worth a darn at 300 yards.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Should I roll with this?

Wilson Combat makes very good to extremely good barrels.  The one included with this upper is a hunter grade barrel, meaning it's not likely to be a one ragged hole machine, more like half dollar sized groups.  If you want extreme accuracy for long range shooting, I don't believe that upper will get the job done.

I think you can do better price and performance wise if you just build your own upper.Rainier Arms makes fantastic barrels, the price to value ratio is high.  You can buy a match grade barrel with an accuracy guarantee for less than $300.00.

We can help you spec out the upper and source the parts based on your criteria.  If you don't want to assemble the upper yourself, you can always ask a an experienced friend or use a gunsmith.  In the end, you will have a rifle that is exactly what you wanted.

• Like 1