Old Glock guy

Gun for Hire Urban Pistol 2 11/4/23 AAR

I have taken this class many times because it's good to get a refresher on some of the techniques, it's a chance to test gear under a bit of stress, and every time I take it the course is a little different.  As an alum, I am able to take these classes for half price.  The instructors this time were Vlad and Wayne, with Jim helping out.  I find it amazing that Anthony is able to keep finding such solid instructors. 

The class began with each of us individually being time on our draw to first shot on a 6x6" target box at seven yards.  This was followed by some timed draws for the whole group, finishing up with each of us being timed individually again.

Next up was shooting from retention.  We did a five shot drill where on command we fired two shots up close from retention, took a couple of steps back while issuing verbal commands and took two shots to the chest, then took another step back and simulated pushing a family member back with one hand while shooting one to the head one-handed. 

We then went into movement drills, where we would shoot and then move to a new spot on the line with our firearms pointed in a safe, downward sul position.  From there we went into shooting while moving forward, and shooting from different positions behind a barricade. 

We finished the morning with multiple reps of more shooting moving forward, followed by running back to the 20 yard line for shots from different positions there, including kneeling, supine, and side prone. 

The time seemed to fly by. We ended with a discussion and a debriefing, and the usual class photo.  When I started training a dozen or so years ago, it was mainly just for fun and entertainment.  In today's world, where concealed carry has become a reality, this work seemed a lot more important.  I trained with my carry gun from concealment, and while it made me slower on the draw, I felt it was important to practice the way I go about my every day life.  IMHO, everyone who carries or is thinking about it should be taking classes like this on a regular basis. 

Getting training is good, and classes like this will teach you more about using a gun in the real world than standing in a port ever will. 

That said, training classes are there for the instructor to pass information to the students. Once you have that knowledge, you need to practice it on your own time in order to turn it into a skill. Using classes like this is a very expensive way to practice. 

I appreciate there are not many ranges that will allow you to draw from a holster and move around the range. There are at least 2 that I know of, however. 

What is more commonly available is action shooting matches such as IDPA, USPSA, 2 gun, ICORE, etc. For a relatively small entry fee, you get to move around the range, draw from your holster and engage multiple targets. Also, you get to spend time with other shooters who will usually know something you don't, so you get a free mini lesson while you're there. 

I'm not saying there is no value in repeating a class. Typical students will retain 60% or less of the material presented, but if they go away and practice that material and make it a subconscious skill, the next time they attend the class they will be able to retain a good deal more of the 40% they didn't retain the first time. 

A good class is like a Mel Brooks movie. The first time you see it, you get all the gags in the foreground and enjoy the movie. The second time you watch it, you know what to expect from the main gags, and you start to pick up on the gags that are in the background and you get even more from the movie.