Ferris

Gunsitters ERPO protection

I have a "friend" that thinks his marriage is heading for a divorce, knowing how messy these things get and false accusation get thrown around quite easily so the lawyers get fodder for court. He is preparing for all he can and came across gunsitters having ERPO protection, where if you have a red flag thrown, not sure if covers domestic allegations, they take possession of your firearms and the police don't take them. It's not clear how they prevent the police from taking possession.. Anyone ever heard of this or have experience?

Here is the product write up from them:

Protection against an ERPO seizure. You prearrange the transfer of ownership of your firearms to a GunSitters affiliate FFL, to safeguard them if you become a respondent of an Extreme Risk Protection Order. You simply fill out the inventory form and send it back. You keep your firearms and in the case of an ERPO they will not be able to be seized and GunSitters will pick them up.

Firearm ownership will not be transferred unless an ERPO is issued.
Once transferred and picked up, you need to purchase storage space for the amount of firearms being transferred.
There is no charge for pick up to ERPO Assurance members

Price shown is monthly.

I used them during my divorce. Surprise, surprise my ex filed a TRO. 

Because gunsitters took ownership of my guns, when NJSP came calling to seize them, all I had to do was show them the receipt from gunsitters and they went away satisfied. 

When the divorce was over, I was able to get my FPIC back and take back my long guns after a NICS check. For the handguns, I had to get a PtPP for each one and filed for an OGAM exemption so I could get everything in one transfer under a single NICS approval.

There's paperwork and fees which are a huge PITA and take a few months to complete, but I'm not a prohibited person because of any firearms being seized and not returned to me. 

My advice is for your friend to get it done and sooner than later. After the TRO is too late. 

• Like 2

Sounds like they keep the police from seizing them because your friend doesn't own them any more.  Sounds like he transfers his guns to an FFL who owns them until some day in the future when they get transferred back.

"You prearrange the transfer of ownership of your firearms to a GunSitters affiliate FFL"